Conformal maps as sense preserving

• Thread starter RichardJB
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of conformal mappings and their properties of preserving angles and sense. While most complex analysis textbooks only provide a proof for angle preservation, the conversation raises the question of how the sense of simple curves is also preserved. A formal proof is provided in a textbook, which shows that preserving oriented angles is equivalent to preserving sense.
RichardJB
Hi everyone,

Long time lurker on the forums here...lots of good reading to be had! This is not too much of a homework question rather than me just being curious about a certain property, although I thought I might as well post it here since other students will most likely find this helpful. Most complex analysis textbooks I've come across state that conformal mappings are sense and angle preserving (between curves). They readily prove the angle preserving part, but I've never actually seen a formal proof of why they preserve the sense of any simple curves. How is this usually accomplished?

This didn't initially bother me too much, and I just sort of accepted the fact, but I had to explain conformal mapping to a few university friends today and this got me thinking about this fact.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, in any proof that conformal mappings are angle-preserving, they prove that conformal mappings actually preserve oriented angles. An example of such a proof is ww.worldscibooks.com/etextbook/4836/4836_chap1_6.pdf

Now, this mean that the proofs show that orientation of the angles are being preserved. But this is of course thesame as saying that the mapping is sense-preserving...

1. What are conformal maps and how do they preserve sense?

Conformal maps are mathematical transformations that preserve angles between intersecting curves. This means that the shape of the curves is preserved under the transformation. In other words, if two lines intersect at a certain angle before the transformation, they will still intersect at the same angle after the transformation. This preservation of angles is what allows conformal maps to preserve sense.

2. What are some examples of conformal maps?

Some common examples of conformal maps include rotations, translations, and dilations. Other examples include the stereographic projection, the Mercator projection, and the Cayley transform.

3. How are conformal maps used in scientific research?

Conformal maps are used in many different fields of science, including physics, engineering, and computer science. They are particularly useful in the study of fluid dynamics and electromagnetism, as they preserve the local geometry of a system.

4. Are conformal maps reversible?

Yes, conformal maps are reversible. This means that if a conformal map is applied to a set of points, it is possible to undo the transformation and return to the original set of points. This property is important in many applications, such as image processing and computer graphics.

5. What are the limitations of conformal maps?

Although conformal maps are useful in many situations, they are not suitable for all types of transformations. They are only able to preserve angles and not other properties, such as lengths or areas. Additionally, conformal maps are only valid in two-dimensional spaces and cannot be extended to higher dimensions.