Calculating Tension in a Multi-Duck System

• Thread starter mIsix
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary: Hence, the tension would be equal to the inertial force of the last duck (2kg) in the first question and the middle duck (5kg) in the second question.
mIsix
hi i am in grade 11 university physics, and i have a test coming up that requires me to calculate tension. Unfortunately i have no clue how to do this. Can someone help ?

Physics news on Phys.org
well it depends on the question you are given. But I'd say (at a random guess) that you need to resolve all the forces in one direction and put that equal to ma, then try to solve from there.

ok well my question states that, two toy ducks are attached by a string. the front duck has a mass of 5 kg, and the back duck is 2.0 kg. they are bing pulled wiith a force of 10N and there is no friction.
calculate the tension of the rope after u have calculated the acceleration.

the acceleration of the ducks is 1.4m/s2
and i drew an FBD like soo(2.0kg)DUCk2------(5.0kg)DUCK1-------->10N

i still don't kno where to go from here?

Last edited:
Homework .. ehh

First u have to calculate the accelaration of the system:

F=m(total)*a => a=F/m(total)

m(total)=m1+m2=7 kg

the Tension is equal to the inertial force that the second weight (2kg) exerts. so:

T(ension)=F=a*m2

a-acceleration
m2-second duck 2 kg

thanks a lot, that helped me tremendously. :)

i get it now, but there is another part where it says that another duck(1 kg) is added, and it is put at the front of the row.

DUCK2(2kg)------DUCK1(5kg)------DUCK3(1kg)----->(10N)

Now it asks for the tension connecting ducks 2(2kg) and 3(1kg)and then the tension of ducks 1(5kg) and ducks 2(2kg) . would the tension still be equal to the inertial force of the last duck(2kg)? or would it now be equal to the inertial force of the middle duck(5kg)?

Last edited:
mIsix said:
thanks a lot, that helped me tremendously. :)

i get it now, but there is another part where it says that another duck(1 kg) is added, and it is put at the front of the row.

DUCK2(2kg)------DUCK1(5kg)------DUCK3(1kg)----->(10N)

Now it asks for the tension connecting ducks 2(2kg) and 3(1kg)and then the tension of ducks 1(5kg) and ducks 2(2kg) . would the tension still be equal to the inertial force of the last duck(2kg)? or would it now be equal to the inertial force of the middle duck(5kg)?

In all these questions, once you have determined the acceleration for the group, then the tension (or force in between if it is pushing it) will necessarily be the acceleration times all the mass that is being pulled (or pushed as the case may be.)

1. What is tension?

Tension is a pulling or stretching force that occurs in an object when it is being pulled from both ends.

2. How is tension measured?

Tension is typically measured in units of force, such as newtons or pounds. It can also be measured indirectly by analyzing the strain or deformation of an object under tension.

3. What factors affect tension?

The amount of tension in an object is affected by the magnitude of the external force applied, the distance between the points of application of the force, and the properties of the object, such as its length and elasticity.

4. How do I calculate tension in a rope or cable?

To calculate tension in a rope or cable, you will need to know the magnitude and direction of the external forces acting on the object, as well as the distance between the points of application of the forces. You can then use the formula T = F * d, where T is the tension, F is the magnitude of the external force, and d is the distance between the points of application.

5. Can tension ever be negative?

Yes, tension can have a negative value if the direction of the external force is opposite to the direction of the tension force in the object. This can occur, for example, when an object is being compressed rather than stretched.