Point mechanics -- Tension in a rope from a hanging mass

In summary, the question is asking for the tension of a rope knowing the value of acceleration due to gravity. However, without knowing the mass, the question cannot be answered numerically. The tension is equal to the weight multiplied by the acceleration of gravity. It is unclear if an algebraic answer is expected. It is recommended to clarify with the teacher for full credit.
duchuy
Homework Statement
Rope tension
Relevant Equations
t = ma
Hi,
I'm being asked to determine the tension of a rope only knowing that g = 9.8 m.s-2. I understand that in order to calculate tension, I would need to multiply mass with acceleration. But i don't understand how i would in this case. This is the question for reference. Thanks for your help.
And 9.8N isn't correct so I am confused..

1611327422060.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the value of the mass in Kg?

Is this all that is given? The tension depends on the mass and if the mass is not given, then you cannot find a numerical answer for the tension.

Lnewqban said:
What is the value of the mass in Kg?
This why I don't understand the question because the mass is not given.

kuruman said:
Is this all that is given? The tension depends on the mass and if the mass is not given, then you cannot find a numerical answer for the tension.
I was thinking if there is somehow i could write the tension algebraically somehow I don't know?

duchuy said:
I was thinking if there is somehow i could write the tension algebraically somehow I don't know?

If the mass is not given, then the question cannot be answered. If the mass is not accelerating, the tension is equal to the weight ##mg## which is the product multiplied by the acceleration of gravity. I doubt that an algebraic answer is expected. You are told to write the answer to two significant figures (2 chiffres significants) which means numbers, n'est-ce pas?

Likes Lnewqban
kuruman said:
If the mass is not given, then the question cannot be answered. If the mass is not accelerating, the tension is equal to the weight ##mg## which is the product multiplied by the acceleration of gravity. I doubt that an algebraic answer is expected. You are told to write the answer to two significant figures (2 chiffres significants) which means numbers, n'est-ce pas?
Yess with 2 significant figures ( I didn't know that's how it was called btw so thanks a lot). So this might be a mistake from the prof right? Cuz I was thinking something like m.9.8 but it's not correct.

Was there any text above this Question #1? Something like, "in the following questions, use m = 2kg"...

EDIT. Just realized that you have to enter your answer into a computer. So my suggestion (below) is inapplicable. Sorry.

If you are sure that you have the full, correct question, and that no value of mass is given, you could write something like this (but in French I presume!):

"Since no value of mass is given, for the purpose of showing the method I will take the mass to be 17kg."

And then you can complete the question.

You should then get full credit.

Steve4Physics said:
You should then get full credit.
Not if the algorithm that scores the answer expects a specific numerical value. Better ask the person who assigned the problem for clarification.

On edit:
Steve4Physics said:
EDIT. Just realized that you have to enter your answer into a computer. So my suggestion (below) is inapplicable. Sorry.
And I just realized that you have rescinded your suggestion which makes my comment (above) unnecessary. Sorry.

Last edited:
Ok I see. Thanks so much for the help!

Likes Delta2 and kuruman

1. What is point mechanics?

Point mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion and equilibrium of objects in a single point or particle. It is also known as particle mechanics or point particle dynamics.

2. How is tension in a rope affected by a hanging mass?

The tension in a rope is directly affected by the weight of a hanging mass. As the mass increases, the tension in the rope also increases. This is due to the pull of gravity on the mass, which creates a force that is transmitted through the rope.

3. What is the formula for calculating tension in a rope from a hanging mass?

The formula for calculating tension in a rope from a hanging mass is T = mg, where T is the tension in the rope, m is the mass of the object, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s² on Earth).

4. How does the angle of the rope affect tension in a hanging mass system?

The angle of the rope can affect the tension in a hanging mass system. As the angle increases, the tension in the rope also increases. This is because the weight of the mass is distributed over a larger area, resulting in a greater force being applied to the rope.

5. What is the significance of tension in a rope from a hanging mass in real-world applications?

The concept of tension in a rope from a hanging mass is important in many real-world applications, such as construction, engineering, and sports. Understanding the tension in a rope is crucial for ensuring the stability and safety of structures and equipment, as well as for calculating the performance of athletes in activities such as rock climbing or bungee jumping.