Why Is My Integrating Factor Not Solving the Exact ODE?

• Thread starter ozone
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode Stuck
In summary, the conversation discusses an individual seeking help with a problem involving partial derivatives and a factor of integration. They share their process and calculations, but ultimately encounter an error with their equations. They also mention using Wolfram Alpha for assistance.
ozone
I'm not sure where I'm going wrong on this one so I hoped that I could find some help

we begin with
[itex](x^2 + y^2 + 5) dx - (y+xy) dy[/itex]

taking both partial derivitives I found that

[itex]2y (dy) =/ -y(dx)[/itex]

Next I went to find my factor of integration using [itex] e^(My - Nx / N) dx)[/itex]This got me [itex]((1+x)^-3)[/itex]

which i then simplified to [itex](1 + 1/x^3)[/itex]Then i multiplied our I.F. through the original M and N, but the problem still did not come out to be equal

our new partial derivitives of m and n are:

[itex]((2y/x^3)(dy) =/ ((3y/x^4) + (2y/x^3) - (y))(dx))[/itex]Sorry I couldn't figure out how to display notequal with itex.. anyways thanks in advance for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
ozone said:
I'm not sure where I'm going wrong on this one so I hoped that I could find some help

we begin with
[itex](x^2 + y^2 + 5) dx - (y+xy) dy[/itex]

taking both partial derivitives I found that

[itex]2y (dy) =/ -y(dx)[/itex]

Next I went to find my factor of integration using [itex] e^(My - Nx / N) dx)[/itex]

This got me [itex]((1+x)^-3)[/itex]

which i then simplified to [itex](1 + 1/x^3)[/itex]
Well, that's a problem! [itex](1+x)^{-3}[/itex] is NOT equal to
[tex]1+ \frac{1}{x^3}[/tex]
It is, rather,
[tex]\frac{1}{(1+ x)^3}[/tex]

Then i multiplied our I.F. through the original M and N, but the problem still did not come out to be equal

our new partial derivitives of m and n are:

[itex]((2y/x^3)(dy) =/ ((3y/x^4) + (2y/x^3) - (y))(dx))[/itex]

Sorry I couldn't figure out how to display notequal with itex.. anyways thanks in advance for any help

What do you think "distribute" means there?

Hello,

It seems like you are on the right track with your approach to solving the exact ODE problem. However, it is important to double check your calculations and make sure that you are using the correct formulas and methods. Here are a few things to keep in mind:

1. When taking the partial derivatives, make sure to use the correct notation. It should be d/dx for the derivative with respect to x and d/dy for the derivative with respect to y. Also, make sure to treat the other variable as a constant when taking the derivative.

2. When finding the integrating factor, the formula should be e^(My - Nx) instead of e^(My - Nx / N). Make sure to use the correct formula to avoid any errors.

3. When multiplying the integrating factor through the original ODE, make sure to distribute it correctly. It should be (1+x)^-3 * (x^2 + y^2 + 5)dx - (1+x)^-3 * (y+xy)dy.

4. After multiplying the integrating factor, you should end up with the exact ODE. If it is not equal, then there may be a mistake in your calculations. Double check your work and make sure that you are using the correct formulas and methods.

I hope this helps and good luck with solving the exact ODE problem! Remember to always double check your work and ask for help if you are unsure.

1. How do I know if a problem is an exact ODE?

An exact ODE is a differential equation where the total derivative of the dependent variable can be expressed as a linear combination of the partial derivatives of the independent variables. In other words, if the equation follows the form M(x,y) + N(x,y)y' = 0, where M and N are functions of x and y, then it is an exact ODE.

2. What is the general approach to solving an exact ODE?

The general approach to solving an exact ODE involves identifying the integrating factor, which is a function that helps convert the equation into an exact differential form. This is followed by integrating both sides of the equation and solving for the constant of integration to obtain the general solution.

3. Can an exact ODE have an infinite number of solutions?

Yes, an exact ODE can have an infinite number of solutions because the general solution obtained from the integration process may include an arbitrary constant. This constant can take on any value, resulting in an infinite number of possible solutions.

4. What is the significance of the integrating factor in solving an exact ODE?

The integrating factor plays a crucial role in solving an exact ODE because it helps convert the equation into an exact differential form, making it easier to integrate. It essentially helps balance the equation by multiplying one of the terms to make it equal to the other.

5. Can an exact ODE be solved using numerical methods?

Yes, an exact ODE can be solved using numerical methods such as Euler's method or the Runge-Kutta method. These methods involve approximating the solution by using a series of smaller, simpler equations, which can be solved using computer algorithms.