Register to reply

1 SuSy identity

by ChrisVer
Tags: identity, susy
Share this thread:
ChrisVer
Apr8-14, 12:58 PM
P: 919
THREAD CHANGE *SPINOR IDENTITY*...although it's connected with SuSy in general, it's more basic...

I am trying to prove for two spinors the identity:
[itex] θ^{α}θ^{β}=\frac{1}{2}ε^{αβ}(θθ)[/itex]

I thought that a nice way would be to use the antisymmetry in the exchange of α and β, and propose that:
[itex] θ^{α}θ^{β}= A ε^{αβ} [/itex]
where A is to be determined.... To do so I contracted with another metric ε so that:

[itex] ε_{γα}θ^{α}θ^{β}= A ε_{γα}ε^{αβ} = Α (-δ^{β}_{γ})[/itex]
So I got that:

[itex] θ_{γ}θ^{β}= Α (-δ^{β}_{γ})[/itex]
So for β≠γ I'll have that
[itex] θ_{γ}θ^{β}=0[/itex]
And for β=γ I'll have that
[itex] θ_{β}θ^{β}=-A=-θ^{β}θ_{β}[/itex]
or [itex]A=(θθ)[/itex]

And end up:
[itex] θ^{α}θ^{β}= ε^{αβ} (θθ)[/itex]

Another way I could determine A, would be by dimensionaly asking for [spinor]^2 term, without indices which would lead me again in A=(θθ)...but the same problem remains
Unfortunately I cannot understand how the 1/2 factor disappears...Meaning I counted something twice (I don't know what that something is)..

Could it be that I had to write first:
[itex] θ^{α}θ^{β}=\frac{(θ^{α}θ^{β}-θ^{β}θ^{α})}{2}[/itex]
and then say that the difference on the numerator is proportional to the spinor metric ε? If so, why?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Engineers develop new sensor to detect tiny individual nanoparticles
Tiny particles have big potential in debate over nuclear proliferation
Ray tracing and beyond
andrien
Apr8-14, 02:58 PM
P: 1,020
I think there is a minus sign on right hand side.Anyway ,you should use the identity ##ε_{AB}ε^{CD}=δ^{D}_{A}δ^{C}_{B}-δ^{C}_{A}δ^{D}_{B}##.
So,
##-\frac{1}{2}ε^{AB}(θθ)=-\frac{1}{2}ε^{AB}ε_{CD}θ^Cθ^D=-\frac{1}{2}[δ^{B}_{C}δ^{A}_{D}-δ^{A}_{C}δ^{B}_{D}]θ^Cθ^D=-\frac{1}{2}[θ^Bθ^A-θ^Aθ^B]=θ^Aθ^B##
ChrisVer
Apr8-14, 03:05 PM
P: 919
Thanks... although I'm also trying to understand how/where I did the "mistake" in my approach :)
The minus, at least for the notations I'm following, is for when you have the conjugate spinors ...

andrien
Apr8-14, 03:28 PM
P: 1,020
1 SuSy identity

Quote Quote by ChrisVer View Post
And for β=γ I'll have that
[itex] θ_{β}θ^{β}=-A=-θ^{β}θ_{β}[/itex]
or [itex]A=(θθ)[/itex]
don't you think you have missed a factor of 2 here.

Register to reply