Deriving Divergence Formula in General Relativity

In summary, the divergence formula in general relativity is a mathematical tool used to determine the behavior of vector fields in spacetime. It is derived from the Einstein field equations and allows for the calculation of the change in a vector field over a given region. This formula is crucial in understanding the curvature of spacetime and plays a vital role in the study of general relativity.
Pencilvester
Hello PF,
I was reading through “A First Course in General Relativity” by Schutz and I got to the part where he derives the divergence formula for a vector:$$V^α { } _{;α} = \frac {1} {\sqrt{-g}} ( \sqrt{-g} V^α )_{,α}$$I’m having trouble with a couple of the steps he made. So we start with the standard covariant derivative formula:$$V^α { } _{;α} = V^α { } _{,α} + Γ^α_{μα} V^μ$$We use the formula for ##Γ## that uses the metric and its derivatives:$$Γ^α_{μα} = \frac {1} {2} g^{αβ} (g_{βα,μ} + g_{βμ,α} - g_{μα,β})$$then we rearrange to get$$Γ^α_{μα} = \frac {1} {2} g^{αβ} (g_{βμ,α} - g_{μα,β}) + \frac {1} {2} g^{αβ} g_{βα,μ}$$and we notice that ##\frac {1} {2} (g_{βμ,α} - g_{μα,β})## is antisymmetric on ##α## and ##β## and therefore contracting with ##g^{αβ}## (which is symmetric) gets you a 0. So we’re left with$$Γ^α_{μα} = \frac {1} {2} g^{αβ} g_{βα,μ}$$I can follow this so far just fine. This next part is where I start having issues. He tells me the derivative of the determinant of the metric (##g##) is this:$$g_{,μ} = g g^{αβ} g_{βα,μ}$$and I can’t for the life of me work this out on my own. It’s probably due to the fact that I have no experience manipulating determinants even algebraically, let alone taking their derivatives. I would assume you somehow use the Laplace expansion way of defining the determinant, but again, I have no experience manipulating the minor of a matrix. So my first question is how do you derive this?
Moving on, it looks to me that if we just divide the previous equation by ##g##, we can sub back into the equation for ##Γ## and get$$Γ^α_{μα} = \frac {g_{,μ}} {2g}$$but in the book, without any explanation, he gets$$Γ^α_{μα} = \frac {(\sqrt {-g})_{,μ}} {\sqrt {-g}}$$and again, I have no idea where this came from. The rest of it I can follow, but any help on either of my two issues here would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Pencilvester said:
Moving on, it looks to me that if we just divide the previous equation by ##g##, we can sub back into the equation for ##Γ## and get$$Γ^α_{μα} = \frac {g_{,μ}} {2g}$$

Suppose ##f=f\left(x\right)##. It is very useful to write
$$\frac{f'}{f} = \frac{d}{dx} \ln f$$
Using this,
$$\begin{align}
\frac{f'}{2f} &= \frac{1}{2}\frac{d}{dx} \ln f \\
&= \frac{d}{dx} \ln \left( \sqrt{f} \right) \\
&= \frac{\frac{d}{dx} \sqrt{f}}{\sqrt{f}}
\end{align}$$

Likes Pencilvester and jedishrfu

1. What is the divergence formula in general relativity?

The divergence formula in general relativity is a mathematical expression that describes the behavior of spacetime in the presence of matter and energy. It is a fundamental equation in Einstein’s theory of general relativity and is used to calculate the curvature of spacetime, which is responsible for the force of gravity.

2. How is the divergence formula derived?

The divergence formula is derived from the Einstein field equations, which relate the curvature of spacetime to the distribution of matter and energy. The derivation involves complex mathematical calculations and requires a deep understanding of differential geometry and tensor calculus.

3. What does the divergence formula tell us about the behavior of spacetime?

The divergence formula tells us how spacetime is affected by the distribution of matter and energy. It shows that the curvature of spacetime is directly related to the energy and momentum density of matter. This explains how massive objects, such as planets and stars, create a gravitational field that affects the motion of other objects around them.

4. Are there any real-world applications of the divergence formula?

Yes, the divergence formula has many real-world applications. It is used in the field of astrophysics to study the behavior of galaxies and other large-scale structures in the universe. It is also used in cosmology to understand the evolution of the universe and the formation of structures like galaxies and clusters of galaxies.

5. Is the divergence formula the same as the equation for general relativity?

No, the divergence formula is a part of the larger equation for general relativity. The full equation, known as the Einstein field equations, also includes other components that describe the relationship between spacetime and matter. The divergence formula is a crucial part of this equation, but it is not the only component.