What main branches of mathematics are there?

• Thread starter Mathmanman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mathematics
In summary, the main fields of mathematics include trigonometry, calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, and discrete mathematics. To get a better understanding of how math is divided, it is recommended to look at college prospectuses or online resources. Textbooks with practice problems can also be found on websites such as Amazon.
Mathmanman
Besides trigonometry, calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, and discrete mathematics.
Can you give me a list? And maybe links to where I can learn them?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The main fields in maths are called "applied" and "pure".
"Trigonometry, calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, and discrete mathematics..." are examples of topics in mathematics.

To get a good idea of how maths gets divided up, instead, have a look at your local college's prospectus and the titles of the higher-level papers.

However, it is a common enough request: did you have a look online?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Areas_of_mathematics
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_mathematics_topics
... which should give you a starting place.

Ok, so what textbooks are there? I need the ones that also give me problems to practice. Without practice problems, I would forget it fast. I thought it was math, not maths.

People of the UK persuasion call it 'maths'. In the US and Canada I think it is just 'math'.

Ok, so what textbooks are there? I need the ones that also give me problems to practice. Without practice problems, I would forget it fast.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=4758465#post4758465

I thought it was math, not maths.
Technically, it's "mathematics" - a kind of pseudo-plural of "mathematic" - hence the s on the end of the abbreviation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mathematics#Etymology

Aside:
Him: You do the math!
Me: Maths.
Him: Same thing.
Me: No. Mine has five letters and yours has four.
Him: What's the difference?
Me: One.

Likes UncertaintyAjay
In a rough sense there are two main branches of mathematics: algebra and geometry. Analysis comprises the overlap of those two.

Not on topic but interesting nevertheless:

David Hilbert
" Mathematics is a game played according to a few simple rules with meaningless marks on paper."

Likes UncertaintyAjay
Mathmanman said:
Ok, so what textbooks are there? I need the ones that also give me problems to practice. Without practice problems, I would forget it fast. I thought it was math, not maths.
What textbooks for what kind of math? With so broad a subject as math, you must be more specific.

Have you heard of Amazon.com? You can find all sorts of math textbooks there.

What are the main branches of mathematics?

The main branches of mathematics are algebra, geometry, calculus, trigonometry, and statistics.

What is algebra?

Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with symbols and the rules for manipulating those symbols to solve equations and understand relationships between quantities.

What is geometry?

Geometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and relationships of points, lines, angles, surfaces, and solids.

What is calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change and motion through the use of derivatives and integrals.

What is trigonometry?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships between the sides and angles of triangles, and the use of trigonometric functions to solve problems involving these relationships.