Anyone familiar Napoleonic Wars?

• Thread starter Werg22
  • Start date
In summary: The British formation against cavalry was a major contributing factor to their victory. Napoleon's decision to attack the Prussian center instead of concentrating on defeating their cavalry was a key mistake that led to his defeat.
Werg22
I may be on the wrong section, but I'll give it a try nonetheless. I have to make an exhaustive research of the battle of Waterloo. The goal is to choose a specific question on the subject and try to answer it through thorough analysis. Now, I have familiarized myself with the battle but I still have to find such a question. Any suggestion?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
you must analize your own question?

Well, yeah, basically that's it. You have to base your analysis on a central question, which you will have formulated yourself.

Should Nappy have restrained Ney's use of his calvary?

Should Nappy have started the battle earlier?

Could Grouchy have been more aggressive in his pursuit of the Prussians?

I read that as getting a general understanding of the whole battle and then pick a pivotal point be it an action a deployment or even a political stance that was taken before the conflict. Then look at all the arguments for and against the decision that was made and hypothesis if it was the correct decision given the circumstances as opposed to hindsight.
The battle of Waterloo was big, complex and based on lots of individuals operating autonomously, it is ideal for this sort of analysis and many people have looked at this sort of thing.
See if you can find a text by Richard Holmes, this is the sort of stuff he does in order to show how modern battles can and should be fought.

Should Agnetha Fältskog be lynched?

Panda said:
I read that as getting a general understanding of the whole battle and then pick a pivotal point be it an action a deployment or even a political stance that was taken before the conflict. Then look at all the arguments for and against the decision that was made and hypothesis if it was the correct decision given the circumstances as opposed to hindsight.
The battle of Waterloo was big, complex and based on lots of individuals operating autonomously, it is ideal for this sort of analysis and many people have looked at this sort of thing.
See if you can find a text by Richard Holmes, this is the sort of stuff he does in order to show how modern battles can and should be fought.

I agree, but the battle itself was winnable or at least not losable, if the correct action was taken, at least in theory.

The formation of the British decided the war or did it and how,ie the formation against cavalry, the late contribution by Prussian reinforcements was also important, I suggest you ask a question about Napoleon's decisions during the battle, and how this impacted on the outcome, these are the most decisive- how did the greatest general of his day get beaten, and what was the pivotal moment of his loss? This is possibly the best question. Prussian surprise attack on right flank? How could he have combated this, and if he couldn't what could he have done?

Last edited:

1. What were the Napoleonic Wars?

The Napoleonic Wars were a series of global conflicts that took place between 1803 and 1815. They were primarily fought between Napoleon Bonaparte's French Empire and various coalitions of European powers.

2. What were the main causes of the Napoleonic Wars?

The main causes of the Napoleonic Wars were the French Revolution, which led to the rise of Napoleon, and his expansionist policies. Other factors included the struggle for power among European monarchies and the desire for control over trade and colonial territories.

3. How did the Napoleonic Wars impact Europe?

The Napoleonic Wars had a profound impact on Europe. They resulted in the collapse of the Holy Roman Empire and the rise of nationalism. The wars also led to significant territorial changes and the redistribution of power among European nations.

4. What were some key events or battles during the Napoleonic Wars?

The Napoleonic Wars saw many significant events and battles, including the Battle of Trafalgar, the Battle of Austerlitz, and the Battle of Waterloo. These battles shaped the outcome of the wars and had a lasting impact on European history.

5. How did the Napoleonic Wars end?

The Napoleonic Wars ended with Napoleon's defeat at the Battle of Waterloo in 1815. He was subsequently exiled to the island of Saint Helena, where he died in 1821. The wars also led to the Congress of Vienna, which aimed to restore stability and balance of power in Europe.