Any advice on buying a new digital Camera?

In summary, when buying a new digital camera, it is important to consider your budget, desired features, and intended use. Researching different brands and models, reading reviews, and trying out the camera in person can help you make an informed decision. It is also important to consider the long-term cost of accessories and any necessary software. Furthermore, considering the warranty and customer support offered by the manufacturer can provide peace of mind in case of any issues with the camera. Ultimately, it is best to choose a camera that meets your specific needs and preferences, rather than simply going for the most expensive or popular option.
Saladsamurai
Hey yall. I live in north of Boston and I am headinf down to West Palm Beach Florida for a long overdue vacation with my girlfriend. I have a kodak easy share that is a little clunky since is a few years old. It is a 5 MP and it takes decent shots.

I am looking for something slimmer that can fit in my pocket that takes pics that are similar in quality. I think Sony makes a 'slimshot' or 'cybershot' or something like that.

Anyone have something that sounds like what I am looking for? How do you like it?

Just looking for some feedback on some cameras that some of you might own.

Thanks!

Computer science news on Phys.org
Perhaps try this

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sidebyside.asp

Last edited by a moderator:
Not going to make the jump to a digital SLR? [Canon Rebel XTi]

The most important thing, IMO, is looking at the camera's lag time between pressing the shutter release and when the picture is taken. From what I have read and experienced, that time is mostly a function of how long it takes the camera to update its CCD. I just replaced my Nikon Coolpix because of just that reason.No matter what mode I was shooting in, the lag times were horrible. I went to a digital SLR and I am never going back. That being said, my wife has a small Olympus point and shoot that is small but has a nice sized screen. It kicks but for a point and shoot.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/olympus/stylus_800-review/

I love my Sony Cybershot. I have last years' 7mp version.

FredGarvin said:
The most important thing, IMO, is looking at the camera's lag time between pressing the shutter release and when the picture is taken. From what I have read and experienced, that time is mostly a function of how long it takes the camera to update its CCD. I just replaced my Nikon Coolpix because of just that reason.No matter what mode I was shooting in, the lag times were horrible. I went to a digital SLR and I am never going back. That being said, my wife has a small Olympus point and shoot that is small but has a nice sized screen. It kicks but for a point and shoot.

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/olympus/stylus_800-review/

My wife is a pretty sharp shutterbug and she tolerated our first point and shoot for some nanoseconds before going back to SLR. Its unavoidably larger and more $ but a few blurred pics on the point and shoot of something you care about makes the point. SLR eliminates the lag.

I'd say go with a Canon. The ELF (sp?) are a nice series as are the powershots.

Shutterlag and power on time ( how long after awitching it on can you take a pitcure) are the most important.
If you travel a lot battery type is also important, if it can take AA batteries you can buy them anywhere or carry lots of rechargeables - if it takes a custom Li-Ion battery you are forced to carry the charger or docking station with you everywhere.

Yes, but the Li Ions are really nice and seem to hold charge much longer. I only have to recharge my Olympus Evolt E-500 (DSLR) every few months and that is with fair usage.

1. What is the most important feature to consider when buying a new digital camera?

The most important feature to consider when buying a new digital camera is the sensor size. A larger sensor will capture more light and result in higher quality images with better detail and less noise. This is especially important for low light photography.

2. Is it better to have a higher megapixel count?

While a higher megapixel count may seem important, it is not the only factor that determines image quality. Other factors such as sensor size and lens quality also play a significant role. In general, a camera with 12-20 megapixels is more than enough for most users.

3. What type of lens is best for different types of photography?

The type of lens you need depends on the type of photography you will be doing. For landscape photography, a wide-angle lens is ideal, while for portrait photography, a telephoto lens is more suitable. It is best to research and consider the type of photography you will be doing before deciding on a lens.

4. What is the difference between DSLR and mirrorless cameras?

DSLR (Digital Single Lens Reflex) cameras use a mirror and prism system to reflect the image from the lens into the viewfinder. Mirrorless cameras, on the other hand, do not have a mirror and use an electronic viewfinder. Mirrorless cameras are generally smaller and lighter, while DSLRs offer better battery life and a wider range of lenses.

5. Is it necessary to buy a camera with video capabilities?

It depends on your needs. If you plan on using your camera for video recording, then it is important to look for one with good video capabilities. However, if you only plan on using it for photography, then video capabilities are not a necessity and you can save money by opting for a camera without them.