Normal subgroups of a non-albelian group

In summary, the conversation is about determining which subgroups are normal in a non-abelian group. The suggested method is to check every entry, but this would only work for finite groups. They are looking for a more generic proof and consider the case of an abelian group, where the proof is straightforward. However, the group in question is not abelian, so a different approach is needed.
futurebird
I have the table for a non-albelian group. I know the subgroups of this group. I need to know which subgroups are normal. How can I tell?

Physics news on Phys.org
So you need to check every single entry?

Well some of these groups will be infinite so that's impossible but for finite groups I guess it would work but would be a tad tedious. We're looking for a more generic proof.

Consider the following,
Let [itex] H \subset G [/itex]. The group [itex] G [/itex] is abelian and therefore has commutivity of elements by design i.e.
[itex] ah=ha [/itex]
However, this holds [itex]\forall h \in H [/itex] and [itex] \forall a \in G [/itex]
[itex] \Rightarrow aH=Ha \Rightarrow a^{-1}aH=a^{-1}Ha [/itex]
[itex] a^{-1}Ha=H [/itex]

But my group isn't abelian.

haha i am being silly...let me reconsider

could u post the question?

It's for a take-home final so I'm trying to ask for help on the concepts without doing that. I'll post it after I turn it in.

1. What is a normal subgroup?

A normal subgroup is a subgroup of a non-abelian group that is invariant under conjugation. This means that for any element in the original group, when it is conjugated with an element in the subgroup, the result will still be in the subgroup.

2. How do you determine if a subgroup is normal?

A subgroup is normal if and only if for every element in the original group, the left and right cosets of the subgroup are equal. This is denoted by H g = g H for all g in the original group and H in the subgroup.

3. Can a non-abelian group have only one normal subgroup?

Yes, a non-abelian group can have only one normal subgroup. This is the case for the alternating group An, where n > 4. The only normal subgroup of An is the subgroup consisting of the identity element, which is also the center of the group.

4. What is the relationship between normal subgroups and quotient groups?

Normal subgroups play a crucial role in the construction of quotient groups. In fact, the quotient group is defined as the set of all left (or right) cosets of the normal subgroup in the original group, with a defined operation. This allows us to study the structure of the original group in a more manageable way.

5. Are there any special properties of normal subgroups in a non-abelian group?

Yes, there are a few special properties of normal subgroups in a non-abelian group. For example, the center of a non-abelian group is always a normal subgroup. Also, if a group has only two normal subgroups, it must be abelian.