Parachute in Space: Can It Deploy?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of deploying a parachute in deep space and whether it would work without air or molecules. Some suggest that solar winds could potentially propel a space vehicle, while others mention the use of a solar sail or electromagnetic field. However, it is noted that these methods would require a large surface area and a long period of time to build momentum. Ultimately, it is concluded that a traditional parachute would not work in the vacuum of space.
QuantumLove
just as a minor thought i brainstormed on the deployment of a parachute in deep space. because their is no air or molecules like that, THAT I KNOW OF. would the parachute deploy?
would it expand and fill with anything like on earth? my thoughts were that if sound can't travel in space without a medium than a chute couldn't open, at least uniformly and fairly evenly like they do here without that same medium. maybe the momentum alone could do it?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
If we're thinking of space as purely a vacuum, which it seems you are, it seems to me that absolutely nothing would happen.

It depends on how the parachute deploys. If it is somehow shot backwards behind the craft, it would simply sit there with any residual formation from the explosion which propelled it behind the craft. I'm not sure, but I think earthbourne parachutes are just unhitched and the air resistance takes care of the rest. Since there is no air resistance, if this is the case, absolutely nothing would happen.

nice. its mostly as i thought itd be. I don't know how i forgot about solar wind. not the same but the idea is there. thanks a lot guys!

In the atmosphere, the air molecules collide with the parachute, causing it to open up and expand. Since the parachute is "pushing" against the air molecules it causes it to lose momentum that it gains from gravity and thus slows it down. Basically, the faster the parachute is falling down, the bigger the pressure difference between it's top and bottom, and so it experiences more upward force, which causes it to slow down. In space, however, there are no air molecules, and no pressure of any kind, so I don't see any force that could open up the parachute.

solar wind..solar sails been discussed since 1962..far as i remember.
everything is " moving" in this universe...it has been conjedtured that solar wind could propel space vehicle if properly designed.

What force do the "solar winds" push with? What exactly are solar "winds"? Photons?

The Solar Wind is the stream of charged particles form the sun (electrons and protons) arriving at earth.
A solar sail actually uses the pressure of the photons from the sun - not the solar wind.

Ranger Mike said:
solar wind..solar sails been discussed since 1962..far as i remember.
everything is " moving" in this universe...it has been conjedtured that solar wind could propel space vehicle if properly designed.

A Solar Sail/Solar Parachute could use the drag produced by moving towards the sun by "catching" photons with a big non-reflective parachute. However, the problem is that the sail would need to be hundreds, or even thousands of square kilometers to be effective. Also, it probably wound never "deploy" like a regular parachute because the pressure on any given point of the sail/chute wouldn't be enough to move it. A solar sail/solar parachute counts on the cumulative pressure on the entire sail over a long period of time (months at least to build any meaningful momentum, probably years to reach functional travel speed), so it would need to start in place.

Note that probably more effective than an physical sail/chute would be a really big (again thousands of kilometers) electromagnetic or electrostatic field. If it were negatively charged then it would create drag as it encountered the positively charged protons released by the sun.

1. How does a parachute work in space?

In space, there is no air resistance to slow down an object's descent. However, a parachute works by creating drag, which helps to slow down the descent of an object. This is because the parachute's canopy catches air molecules as it falls, creating a force that opposes the object's downward motion.

2. Can a parachute be deployed in the vacuum of space?

Yes, a parachute can be deployed in the vacuum of space. However, without any air resistance, the parachute will not be effective in slowing down the descent of an object. It would simply float alongside the object without providing any drag.

3. How does the lack of air in space affect a parachute's deployment?

The lack of air in space affects a parachute's deployment in that there is no air resistance to fill the canopy and create drag. This means that the parachute will not slow down the descent of an object as it would in Earth's atmosphere. Additionally, without air, the parachute may not fully open or function properly.

4. Can a parachute be used for landing in space?

A parachute can be used for landing in space, but it is not the most effective method. Parachutes are designed to work in Earth's atmosphere, where there is air resistance. In space, the lack of air means that a parachute will not provide enough drag to slow down the descent of an object. Other methods, such as a rocket-powered landing or airbags, are more suitable for landing in space.

5. How have parachutes been used in space missions?

Parachutes have been used in space missions primarily for the re-entry and landing of spacecraft. They are deployed once the spacecraft enters Earth's atmosphere to slow down the descent and allow for a controlled landing. Parachutes have also been used for the recovery of space debris and experiments that were ejected from spacecraft.