Physics project: Self propelled car.

In summary, the conversation involves a student discussing a physics project that involves creating a car using a mouse trap tied to an axle. The student is looking for alternative sources of propulsion and a braking system. Suggestions are made using compressed air, chemical reactions, sails, and flywheels. The student decides to try using a flywheel and asks for more information on how to build or obtain one.
Arix
ok, so i have a physics project. we were assigned to use a mouse trap tied to the axle by a string to propel a homemade car of sorts. but he says we can use and propulsion system as long as it doesn't use combustion or electricity. i don't want to use a mouse trap and I'm looking for other ideas. maybe magnetic? any ideas? we also are to design a braking system so that the car will stop at a self-set distance such as 40m. any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
For all the years I've been here, this is a problem that seems to come back once or twice a year. Do some searching with the search tool on this forum...

vanesch said:
For all the years I've been here, this is a problem that seems to come back once or twice a year. Do some searching with the search tool on this forum...

i have searched and all of them use mouse/rat traps that pull a chord attached to the axle. I am looking for a different source of thrust/propulsion...

Try compressed air. Rip apart one of those air hogs planes and just the power plant to drive your mouse car instead of a propeller.

Air hogs planes are pretty expensive if you don't use them for what they are meant for! Instead, I would suggest using a spray can (the ones that clean computers and stuff) and have the axle trigger it somehow, like someone pulling a string.

Poincare1 said:
Air hogs planes are pretty expensive if you don't use them for what they are meant for! Instead, I would suggest using a spray can (the ones that clean computers and stuff) and have the axle trigger it somehow, like someone pulling a string.

shoulda said this earlier... no compressed air or water. =( :grumpy:

Mmm, no springs (mousetraps), no compressed air, no water, no electricity, no combustion...

It's going to become difficult to find an energy storage. I have a proposal: use nuclear fusion :biggrin:

Can you use chemical reactions other than combustion ?
Or use a sail ? Can you use an animal ?

vanesch said:
Mmm, no springs (mousetraps), no compressed air, no water, no electricity, no combustion...

It's going to become difficult to find an energy storage. I have a proposal: use nuclear fusion :biggrin:

Can you use chemical reactions other than combustion ?
Or use a sail ? Can you use an animal ?

i can use a sail! and i can use springs(mousetraps). but i was trying to stay clear of the cliched mousetrap. i can use magnets somehow. no animals though. and i need a braking system :mad::grumpy:

Maybe use a flywheel?

Teeril said:
Maybe use a flywheel?

explain this flywheel method?

It's basically just a rotating mass (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flywheel), there are also some toy cars that use them (like http://www.madcattoys.com/cu1027kk.html ).

The toy starts driving right away after charging it (by moving the toy) but you could make an alternative way to charge it with a lever or something. And could decouple the flywheel to be able to switch it on later instead of right away.

Not sure how long it'll hold it's energy due to friction though, never tried it myself ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Teeril said:
It's basically just a rotating mass (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flywheel), there are also some toy cars that use them (like http://www.madcattoys.com/cu1027kk.html ).

The toy starts driving right away after charging it (by moving the toy) but you could make an alternative way to charge it with a lever or something. And could decouple the flywheel to be able to switch it on later instead of right away.

Not sure how long it'll hold it's energy due to friction though, never tried it myself ;)

im totally going to try it

Last edited by a moderator:
Arix said:
im totally going to try it

wait how can i build/get a flywheel

You could pull one out of any of these toys http://gyroscope.com/, but I think pretty much any (heavy) disc would do. But I don't know any of the math involved ;)

Upside of those is also they come with starter wires ;)

What is a self propelled car?

A self propelled car is a vehicle that can move forward without the help of an external force or power source. It uses the principles of physics, such as motion and energy, to propel itself.

How does a self propelled car work?

A self propelled car typically works by converting stored potential energy into kinetic energy. This can be achieved through various methods, such as using a rubber band or a spring to store energy, and then releasing it to move the car forward.

What materials are needed to build a self propelled car?

The materials needed to build a self propelled car may vary, but some common materials include a lightweight chassis, wheels, axles, a rubber band or spring, and various tools for assembling the car together.

What factors affect the distance a self propelled car can travel?

The distance a self propelled car can travel is affected by several factors, including the amount of stored potential energy, the weight of the car, the surface it is being propelled on, and any external forces acting on the car, such as friction.

What are some real-life applications of a self propelled car?

Self propelled cars can be used for various purposes, such as in children's toys, educational activities, and even in some engineering or research projects. They can also be used to demonstrate the principles of physics, such as potential and kinetic energy, in a practical and fun way.