How Much Force is Needed to Cut Through a Cable's Plastic Covering?

In summary: This can be found using the following equation: F = (σ × A) / D where σ is the stress (force per area) and A is the area of the tip of the blade. So if you want to cut through a 2cm by 2cm piece of plastic with a blade that is 1cm long and has a tip area of 0.5cm then you would need a force of 2000N.
yigitasker
Hello,
I have a project for my diploma.And i have some questions. If someone can help me
i would be very pleased.
I have to know what the cables resistance ( σ ( N/mm2)) is,i mean, how big a force, do i need for cut the cable's plastic?I have a disc (it should be the knife), when it turns around it, it should cut the plastic-all the cover; and the copper should appear.

I thought like this ; σ = F / A and if i know σ, i could find the force, and from force to momentum and then the engines HP ..

Did i thing exact?

Thanks..

Engineering news on Phys.org
Not sure what you are asking
the ultimate tensile stresss = breaking strain of the cable is normally given in N/mm^2 (or GPa) - but this is the maximum force/area in tension when it breaks - not the resistance to cutting.
The plastic sleeve doesn't really add any strength.
It is also only true for hard materials, copper will stretch and change shape before it brakes so there isn;t a simple maximum N/mm^2

First of all thanks for your response,

you say that the plastic doesn't add any strenght, so for me is the cover important? The

steel-fiber wire etc...Where can i find the propertys from a cable, because i need a force or

a strength... Which way should i follow?

If you are just looking for breaking load (in tension) then you can look up the "ultimate tensile strength" or "yield strength" for the material. This will be given in GPa (N/m^2) which is 1000N/mm^2 see here for list http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tensile_strength

This also gives you an idea of how much force is needed to cut the wire.
You need to calculate the area of the tip of the blade and the force to get the pressure

1. What is resistance from a cable?

Resistance from a cable is the opposition to the flow of electric current through the cable. It is caused by the material of the cable and its dimensions, and is measured in ohms.

2. How does cable length affect resistance?

Cable length has a direct impact on the amount of resistance in a cable. The longer the cable, the higher the resistance, as electrons have a longer distance to travel and encounter more obstacles along the way.

3. What is the relationship between cable thickness and resistance?

The thickness or cross-sectional area of a cable affects its resistance. A thicker cable has a lower resistance because it allows more space for electrons to flow through, decreasing the chances of collisions and obstacles.

4. How does temperature affect cable resistance?

Temperature has a significant impact on cable resistance. As the temperature increases, the resistance of the cable also increases. This is due to the increased motion of the atoms in the cable, which creates more obstacles for the electrons to pass through.

5. What factors can cause an increase in resistance from a cable?

Aside from length and temperature, other factors that can increase resistance from a cable include the material of the cable, its thickness, and any damage or corrosion to the cable. Additionally, any bends or kinks in the cable can also increase resistance by creating obstacles for the electrons to pass through.