How to Determine the Depth of an Ice Cube Floating in Water?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the distance below the water surface of the bottom face of a cube of ice floating in ice-cold water. The conversation mentions using the equations P=F/A and P2-P1=\rhogh, and calculating the surface area of the cube to be 2.59584m. The conversation also discusses the importance of considering the density difference between water and ice. The final solution to the problem is found to be a ratio of 1.091.
brunettegurl

Homework Statement

A cube of ice whose edge measures 20.8 mm is floating in a glass of ice-cold water with one of its faces parallel to the water's surface. How far below the water surface is the bottom face of the block?

Homework Equations

P=F/A, P2-P1=[tex]\rho[/tex]gh

The Attempt at a Solution

so i first found the surface area of the cube which was 2.59584m [using the formula 6*x2]
then i thought abt equating P1= 101.3 x103Pa. and solve for h but i don't know what to put for P2..pls. help

Physics news on Phys.org
Aren't you interested in the difference in the density of water and ice? Won't the ratio of the densities work out to be the ratio of the depth below to the whole?

so if i do the ratio of water to ice so 1000:917 which is about 1.091 is the answer>?

i'm still unsure on how to do this question pls. help

nvm i realized my mistake

Sorry, I missed that it was an open item still.

Glad you figured it out.

What happens when an ice cube is placed in water?

When an ice cube is placed in water, it begins to melt and eventually turns into liquid water. This is because the temperature of the water is higher than the freezing point of the ice, causing the ice to absorb heat energy and melt.

Why does an ice cube float in water?

An ice cube floats in water because it is less dense than water. As ice forms, the water molecules arrange themselves into a specific crystal structure, creating empty spaces between the molecules and causing the ice to be less dense than liquid water. This allows the ice cube to float on top of the water.

What happens when an ice cube is placed in saltwater?

When an ice cube is placed in saltwater, the salt lowers the freezing point of the water. This means that the ice will have to absorb more heat energy from the surrounding water in order to melt. As a result, the ice cube will melt more slowly in saltwater compared to freshwater.

How does the temperature of the water affect the melting rate of an ice cube?

The temperature of the water directly affects the melting rate of an ice cube. If the water is warmer than the freezing point of the ice, the ice will melt faster, while colder water will cause the ice to melt more slowly.

Why does an ice cube eventually stop melting in water?

Once an ice cube has reached the same temperature as the surrounding water, it will stop melting. This is because the ice and water are in thermal equilibrium, meaning they have the same temperature and there is no longer a temperature difference for heat transfer to occur.