Why is the diffusion coefficient in Fick's law squared?

The diffusion coefficient is squared because it takes into account both the concentration gradient and the distance over which diffusion occurs. In summary, Fick's first law of diffusion (for one dimension) describes the flux of material through a surface in a given amount of time, taking into account both the concentration gradient and the distance over which diffusion occurs.
jjmclell
Hi there,

I'm trying to wrap my head around Fick's first law of diffusion (for one dimension):

[tex]J_{x} = -D \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x}[/tex]

I understand that [tex]\phi[/tex] is the concentration in units amount/volume and that [tex]x[/tex] is position on the gradient in units length. What I don't understand is why [tex]-D[/tex] is in units area/time. If we're talking one dimensional diffusion, why do we bring area into the equation? Or, put another way, why do we square length in the diffusion coefficient?

Thanks,

jjmclell

Physics news on Phys.org
It's in units of area/time because it represents the flux of material through a (control) surface

an

The reason for the squared diffusion coefficient in Fick's law is because it is related to the rate of diffusion, which is dependent on both the concentration gradient and the distance traveled by the diffusing particles. The concentration gradient is measured in units of concentration/length, while the distance traveled is measured in units of length. When we multiply these two quantities together, we get units of concentration*length/length, which simplifies to just concentration. However, since the diffusion coefficient is a constant that is specific to the material and conditions, it must have units that cancel out with the concentration term. This is why the diffusion coefficient is squared, as it cancels out the length unit in the concentration gradient term, leaving us with just concentration.

In other words, the squared diffusion coefficient accounts for the fact that the rate of diffusion is a function of both the concentration gradient and the distance traveled. This ultimately helps us understand how quickly or slowly a substance will diffuse through a given medium.

I hope this helps clarify your understanding of Fick's law and the squared diffusion coefficient. Let me know if you have any further questions.

What is Fick's law of diffusion?

Fick's law of diffusion is a fundamental law in physics that describes the movement of particles from an area of high concentration to an area of low concentration. It is often used to explain the diffusion of gases and liquids in various systems.

What are the variables in Fick's law of diffusion?

The variables in Fick's law of diffusion are the diffusion coefficient, the concentration gradient, and the cross-sectional area through which the particles are diffusing. These variables determine the rate of diffusion and can be manipulated to control the diffusion process.

How is Fick's law of diffusion used in real-world applications?

Fick's law of diffusion is used in a variety of real-world applications, including in the study of gas and liquid diffusion in biological systems, the diffusion of pollutants in the environment, and the diffusion of drugs in pharmaceuticals. It is also used in materials science to understand the diffusion of atoms in solids.

What are the limitations of Fick's law of diffusion?

While Fick's law of diffusion is a useful and widely applicable principle, it does have limitations. It assumes that the particles being diffused are small and that the concentration gradient is constant, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. Additionally, it does not account for factors such as surface tension or molecular interactions, which can affect diffusion rates.

How is Fick's law of diffusion related to other laws of physics?

Fick's law of diffusion is related to other laws of physics, such as Fick's first law of diffusion, which states that the rate of diffusion is proportional to the concentration gradient. It is also related to the laws of thermodynamics, as diffusion is a process of energy transfer. Additionally, it is connected to the laws of fluid mechanics, as diffusion can be described as a type of fluid flow.