Why is My HP RPN Operation Displaying Unexpected Results?

• Calculators
  • Thread starter cwalken
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Strange
In summary, the HP RPN operation has a strange behavior when following a specific sequence of entry. When pressing 5 and 'Enter' multiple times, the stack configuration should read (5,5,5,0), but instead shows (50,5,5,5). This is because the T register is not reset to zero, remaining unchanged.
cwalken
HP strange RPN operation?

I just find an odd behavior on my hp rpn operation. Can someone try the following sequence of entry and explain to me this strange behavior?

Press 5 (any number will do).
Press 'Enter' (this should duplicate 5 to x an y stacks)
Press 'Enter' again (duplicate 5 again so now x,y and z stack are all 5)
Press 'RDn' to rotate stack 4 times (this should bring the stack configuration back to the same, x,y and z stack are all 5. The stack should read (5,5,5,0) for (x,y,z,t).
Now press 10 and then *.

Normally, I would expect the stack to be (50, 5, 5, 0) for (X, Y, Z, T). But if you follow the above step, you will get (50, 5, 5 ,5). Am I missing something here?

Computer science news on Phys.org

That is the correct behavior. The T register is not zeroed, but remains the same. If you press 2 / enter / enter / enter, then press + many times, you will get 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16...

It is difficult to provide a definitive answer without more information about the specific HP calculator model and its RPN operation. However, one possible explanation for this behavior could be that the calculator is following a different order of operations than you are expecting. For example, it may be prioritizing the multiplication operation before the duplication operation, resulting in the stack being (50, 5, 5, 5) instead of (50, 5, 5, 0). Without knowing more about the specific calculator and its RPN operation, it is difficult to provide a definitive explanation. It may be helpful to consult the calculator's manual or reach out to the manufacturer for clarification.

1. What is RPN operation?

RPN stands for Reverse Polish Notation, a mathematical notation in which operators are placed after the operands. It is used to perform calculations in a different order than the traditional algebraic notation.

2. How does RPN operation work on HP calculators?

HP calculators use a stack-based system for RPN operations. Numbers are entered into the stack and operators are applied to the top numbers in the stack. The result is then stored in the stack for further calculations.

3. What are the advantages of using RPN operation?

RPN operation allows for faster and more accurate calculations, as it eliminates the need for parentheses and reduces the chance of making errors. It also allows for the use of complex mathematical expressions without having to worry about order of operations.

4. Can RPN operation be used for all types of mathematical calculations?

Yes, RPN operation can be used for all types of mathematical calculations, including basic arithmetic, trigonometry, and statistics. However, it may take some time to get used to the notation for more complex calculations.

5. How is RPN operation beneficial for scientific and engineering applications?

RPN operation is beneficial for scientific and engineering applications as it allows for more efficient and accurate calculations. It also allows for the use of larger numbers and more complex equations, making it a useful tool for solving real-world problems.