LED vs Plain Diodes: What's the Difference?

• Thread starter Bassalisk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diodes Led
In summary, LEDs emit light due to the process of radiative recombination. This is different than how normal diodes emit light.
Bassalisk
This is probably a stupid question but here it is:

I am just learning concepts of LEDs. To me, it seems that there is no difference between LED and normal diodes. In normal diodes in forward bias, electrons come from n type and recombine in p type right? In this process photon should be emitted. Why we don't see that photon in normal diodes?

It says here in my textbook that same happen with LEDs. But what to you know normal diodes don't emit light and LEDs do :D

Engineering news on Phys.org
Bassalisk said:
This is probably a stupid question but here it is:

I am just learning concepts of LEDs. To me, it seems that there is no difference between LED and normal diodes. In normal diodes in forward bias, electrons come from n type and recombine in p type right? In this process photon should be emitted. Why we don't see that photon in normal diodes?

It says here in my textbook that same happen with LEDs. But what to you know normal diodes don't emit light and LEDs do :D

Here is an explanation of how the light is created:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radiative_recombination

The bandgap in LEDs are designed for radiative recombination, while the bandgap in diodes are not.
More here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indirect_band_gap

This is also why a diode only has a voltage drop of about .65 volts and LEDs have voltage drops of generally around 2Volts or higher depending on the wavelength(color) they emit.

Schottky diodes rely on an even different process called thermionic emission where the energy to cross a semiconductor-metal junction is based on the work function between the semiconductor material and a metal contact.

Zener diodes work much the same as a normal diode however they are doped such that electrons can tunnel bacl through the semiconductor junction at a high enough reverse energy/voltage.

Thank you for your explanation. I will have to go to QM to understand that, I was just wondering.

Thanks

All diodes are LEDs but you can't see the radiation.

Solar cells are also LEDs. All diodes are solar cells and so are LEDs.

Antiphon said:
All diodes are LEDs but you can't see the radiation.

Solar cells are also LEDs. All diodes are solar cells and so are LEDs.

Everything gives off radiation, I don't think that's the point or a good distinction.

Its not the distinction I'm making. My statement stands on it's face as an optoelectronic statement of fact, not a resort to other physical principles.

1. What is the main difference between LED and plain diodes?

The main difference between LED and plain diodes is their ability to emit light. LED (Light Emitting Diode) diodes are specifically designed to emit light when current flows through them, while plain diodes are used for electrical rectification and do not emit light.

2. How do LED and plain diodes work?

LED diodes work by converting electrical energy into light energy through a process called electroluminescence. This is achieved by passing current through a diode made of a semiconductor material which emits photons when excited. Plain diodes, on the other hand, work by allowing current to flow in one direction while blocking it in the opposite direction.

3. Which type of diode is more energy efficient?

LED diodes are more energy efficient compared to plain diodes. This is because they require less voltage to operate and do not produce as much heat as plain diodes. LED diodes also have a longer lifespan, making them a more sustainable choice.

4. Can LED and plain diodes be used interchangeably?

No, LED and plain diodes are not interchangeable. LED diodes have a specific design and structure to emit light, while plain diodes have a different design for electrical rectification. Attempting to use one in place of the other will result in inefficient or ineffective performance.

5. What are the main applications of LED and plain diodes?

LED diodes are commonly used in lighting applications such as household bulbs, traffic lights, and electronic displays. Plain diodes are used in electronic devices for rectification, such as in power supplies and radio circuits.