Resistance of a sphere of resistivity rho and radius S

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the resistance between two points on a sphere using thin strips of thickness dz and an expression for the indefinite integral in theta. However, there is a problem when evaluating the definite integral for theta = 0 to pi, possibly due to the strip element becoming a point at the ends. The speaker also mentions using dR=rho * dl/A and asks for help understanding the "curve fenomenon" in velodrom cycling.
Sadiq
I calculated the resistance between two points (P and Q) on a sphere that are located on the two ends of a diameter by dividing the sphere into thin strips of thickness dz that are in series perpendicular to the line PQ (say the z-axis). I can get an expression for the indefinite integral in theta (the polar angle theta, z = S Cos (theta), and S= radius), however I run into problem when evaluating this definite integral for theta = 0 to pi. Apparently the fact that the strip element becomes a points at the ends is causing this problem. I use dR=rho * dl/A with dl = -S Sin(theta) d(theta) and A(theta) = pi {S Sin(theta)}^2. What is going wrong here? Because I know that there must be a finite resistance between two such points.

Physics news on Phys.org
I need help!

I'm a spanish coach from Barcelona and I have a problem.

I need some information about "curve fenomenon" in velodrom cycling. When a cyclist go into a curve power is less than in straight and velocity is high to a straight. Please do you explain this fenomenon?.

My e-mail is ardcarlos@hotmail.com

Thank you very much!

It seems that you are on the right track with your approach to calculating the resistance between two points on a sphere. However, there are a few things to consider in your calculation.

Firstly, when dividing the sphere into thin strips, it is important to make sure that the strips are evenly spaced and have a consistent width. This will ensure that your calculation is accurate and that you are not missing any areas of the sphere.

Secondly, when evaluating the definite integral for theta = 0 to pi, you may encounter some issues due to the fact that the strip element becomes a point at the ends. This is because at the poles (theta = 0 and theta = pi), the strip element has a width of 0, resulting in a singularity in your expression. To solve this issue, you can use the limit definition of the integral to evaluate the integral at the poles separately.

Lastly, it is important to check your units in your calculations. The resistance should have units of ohms (Ω), so make sure that all of your variables and constants are in the correct units.

Overall, it seems that your approach is correct, but there may be some small errors or oversights in your calculations that are causing the issues you are encountering. I suggest double-checking your work and making sure that all of the variables and units are correct.

What is the formula for calculating the resistance of a sphere?

The formula for calculating the resistance of a sphere is R = (4 * pi * rho * S) / (3 * S), where rho is the resistivity of the material and S is the radius of the sphere.

How does the resistivity of the material affect the resistance of a sphere?

The resistivity of the material directly affects the resistance of a sphere. As the resistivity increases, the resistance also increases. This is because resistivity is a measure of how much a material resists the flow of electric current.

What factors can affect the resistance of a sphere?

The resistance of a sphere can be affected by several factors, such as the resistivity of the material, the radius of the sphere, and the temperature. Higher resistivity and larger radius will result in a higher resistance, while a higher temperature will decrease the resistance.

How can the resistance of a sphere be measured experimentally?

The resistance of a sphere can be measured experimentally by using a multimeter or an ohmmeter. The sphere can be connected to the device and the resistance can be read from the display. The experiment can be repeated with different values of resistivity and radius to analyze their effects on the resistance.

What are some real-life applications of understanding the resistance of a sphere?

Understanding the resistance of a sphere is important in various fields, such as electrical engineering, materials science, and physics. It can be used to design and optimize electrical circuits, determine the conductivity of different materials, and predict the behavior of electricity in different environments.