2nd Semester OChem vs. my life

In summary, the person is a transfer student in their second semester of Organic Chemistry and is planning to study computer science but also has a passion for all areas of science. They are wondering how much deeper the second semester of Ochem will take them in terms of understanding natural systems, as they do not plan on being a lab chemist. They are also seeking advice on whether they should continue with the second semester or if they already know enough for their future career in fields such as oceanography or biology. Another forum user advises that they may already know enough for their goals, but the second semester covers topics such as NMR, organic chemistry related to bio and carbonyl chemistry. The person appreciates the response and expresses their interest in learning
blaughli
I'm a transfer student in 2nd semester Ochem. I'm actually intending to study computer science, but I love all areas of science and I'd like to work in a scientific capacity someday (rather than just crunching code in silicon valley). My question is this:

I got an A in the first semester Ochem, and I truly enjoyed the class. How much deeper will the 2nd semester take me in terms of being able to understand natural systems? I don't plan on being a lab chemist (i.e. I don't want to do synthesis for a living, and it seems like this is really what Semester 2 is about). If I plan to work in fields like oceanography, or biology, or other fields in the natural sciences, will I benefit greatly from the 2nd semester or do I already know enough?

Thanks, please let me know what you think!

note: I have an identical post in the Chemistry section and I don't know how to delete it, that's why this is a repeat. It seems like this forum is better for advice than that, but I could be wrong. Sorry for the double post!

Physics news on Phys.org
You probably already know enough if that is your goal. Second semester at my university would of been NMR, organic chemistry related to bio and carbonyl chemistry. So you are missing a lot but you've learned the principles of organic chemistry already so you won't be learning a lot of new chemistry exactly.

Last edited:
Thanks Jorriss,

Your response is very helpful. Ugh, I want to learn this stuff, it's so cool! Maybe the answer is caffeine gum and not bowing out from the academic fight.

1. How difficult is 2nd semester OChem compared to 1st semester?

2nd semester OChem is generally considered to be more challenging than the 1st semester. This is because it builds upon the foundational concepts and introduces more complex reactions and mechanisms.

2. How much time should I dedicate to studying for 2nd semester OChem?

The amount of time you should dedicate to studying for 2nd semester OChem will vary for each person. However, it is recommended to spend at least 2-3 hours studying for every hour of class time.

3. Is 2nd semester OChem necessary for my career as a scientist?

It depends on your specific career goals. For some fields, such as pharmaceutical research, a strong understanding of organic chemistry is essential. However, for other fields, it may not be as crucial.

4. How can I succeed in 2nd semester OChem?

Consistent studying, practice problems, and seeking help from your professor or TA are key to success in 2nd semester OChem. It is also important to stay organized and keep up with the material as it builds upon itself.

5. Will 2nd semester OChem impact my social life?

While 2nd semester OChem may require more time and effort than other classes, it is still possible to balance your social life with your studies. It is important to prioritize and manage your time effectively to maintain a healthy balance.