Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science

In summary, the individual is currently in their fourth year of an undergraduate physics degree with minors in Astrophysics/Astronomy and Computer Science. They are considering switching to a Bachelor of Arts in Physics in order to fit in the computer science minor and other classes, while still graduating in Spring of 2021. They are concerned about the employability of a BA in Physics and seeking advice on their degree plan. They are also considering dropping the Astrophysics minor and taking a lighter course load in order to manage their workload.
What_is_physics
Hello all!

I am currently in my fourth year of an undergraduate physics degree. I am enrolled in a Bachelor of Science plan with Astrophysics/Astronomy and Computer Science minors. I just picked up the computer science minor this past summer so I am starting fresh in programming 1 right now. My current graduation date is Spring of 2021 (I did my entire freshman year as a business student where of course no credits transferred).

I have been contemplating switching to the Bachelor of Arts in physics for quite awhile now. (Attached I have most of the degree paths I have thought out.) If I did switch to the BA I would be able to fit in the computer science minor and a couple other classes I want to take while graduating in Spring of 2021.

Sticking with my current degree plan I would be taking all of my hardest classes in 16, 13, and 15 hour semesters. This may not seem like a lot for some but I know I cannot do well in semesters that packed with tough classes.

While I am looking for just general advice for my degree my main question is:
Would I be employable upon graduation if I go with the BA w/CS minor? Talking to my parents and friends I am getting mixed advice all around (I do plan on talking to professors who have my best interest in mind but why not take it to the internet first lol). I know I don't plan on going to grad school anytime soon as I am completely burnt out from school and just want to get out, but also want to be in a good job once I am out. Any advice is greatly appreciated and please let me know if you need more information from me!

Here is the link to my schools degree plans for the BS and BA.
http://catalog.utsa.edu/undergraduate/sciences/physicsandastronomy/#degreestext

(Sorry about this post being all over the place)

Attachments

• Degree Plan options.xlsx
    10.9 KB · Views: 228
Physics news on Phys.org
I cannot in good conscience recommend a BA degree in Physics from a school offering a BS degree for someone who wants positive job prospects.

Bite the bullet. Work as hard as needed. Earn the BS.

What course requirements does the B.A. drop from the B.Sc. in order to allow for more electives? If your goal is employment post-graduation how will not having those additional B.Sc. courses affect your prospects?
You say you are currently in your 4th year with Astro & Comp Sci minors (though if you're graduating in spring 2021 you are actually in your 3rd year of the program). How would switching to the B.A. make this different? If you aren't planning on going to grad school and you're feeling burned out and just want to get done, what purpose does the Astro minor do? I'd be inclined to drop that and do just the computer science minor. That would then give you the room to take the other courses you want and maybe lighten your load a little. Another option would be to reduce your course load during the fall/winter semesters and pick up additional courses in the spring/summer session.

What is the difference between a Bachelor of Arts and a Bachelor of Science degree?

A Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree typically focuses on the humanities, social sciences, and liberal arts. This means that students will take courses in subjects such as English, history, psychology, and sociology. On the other hand, a Bachelor of Science (BS) degree generally focuses on the natural sciences, mathematics, and technical fields. This means that students will take courses in subjects such as biology, chemistry, computer science, and engineering.

Which degree is better for a career in science or technology?

Both a Bachelor of Arts and a Bachelor of Science degree can lead to careers in science or technology. However, a Bachelor of Science degree may be more beneficial for those looking to pursue a career in a specific scientific or technical field, as it provides a more in-depth and specialized education in these areas.

Can I switch from a Bachelor of Arts to a Bachelor of Science degree?

It is possible to switch from a Bachelor of Arts to a Bachelor of Science degree, but it may require additional coursework and time. This is because the two degrees have different requirements and course offerings. It is important to consult with an academic advisor before making the switch to ensure that all requirements are met.

Do employers prefer a Bachelor of Arts or a Bachelor of Science degree?

Employers do not typically have a preference between a Bachelor of Arts or a Bachelor of Science degree. What is more important to employers is the skills and knowledge gained during the degree program. It is important for students to choose a degree that aligns with their interests and career goals.

Can I pursue graduate studies with a Bachelor of Arts or a Bachelor of Science degree?

Yes, both a Bachelor of Arts and a Bachelor of Science degree can lead to graduate studies. However, the specific requirements for graduate programs may vary depending on the degree. It is important to research the specific requirements for the graduate program you are interested in to ensure that you have the necessary prerequisites.