PV=nRT – Why isn’t ‘T’ inversely proportional to ‘V’?

In summary: RT/P = V...which says that the volume per particle is proportional to the temperature, not that the volume per particle is inversely proportional to the temperature. So that is the "cause and effect" logic of the ideal gas law for the Earth's atmosphere, and it doesn't have to directly do with the gas law at all, it's just a statement that comes from the definition of density and the fact that the pressure gradient in the atmosphere is approximately proportional to the density. So just like in the example of F=ma, the ideal gas law doesn't say why temperature is proportional to volume per particle, it is something you have to supply yourself.In summary, the ideal gas law states that as volume increases
Tweedle Dee
What am I missing? According to the ideal gas law, as volume increases, temperature increases. However I’m not sure I understand why. I certainly understand the motion of the molecules equals the kinetic energy of the molecules. The faster the molecules bounce about, the more thermal energy the system contains. Further, the larger the number of bouncing molecules contained within the system, the more thermal energy the system contains. But if you reduce the volume without changing the number of moles why would that change the internal energy.

In fact, why doesn’t the gas get colder as you increase volume?
PV=nRT tells me if we increase the volume, the temperature increases – which means the internal energy increase. But what if we increased the volume of my system to the size of our universe – wouldn’t it be awfully cold in my system? Aren’t I describing the space of our universe – near absolutely zero in temperature with just a relative handful of molecules?

Further, if I reduce the volume why would that necessarily alter the temperature? Sure, it would increase the number of bounces per unit time, but since each bounce transfers its energy to its dancing partner, why would more bounce mean either more energy or less energy?

I know I’m missing something obvious but I just don’t see it. This is classical physics, not quantum, so the answer should be apparent to me. It’s not.

Physics news on Phys.org
According to the ideal gas law, as volume increases, temperature increases

Actually it's the other way round!

We usually write the independent variable on the right and the dependent variable on the left.

eg y=3x

read as 'y is three times x'

So if you heat something (even a gas) up it expands (volume increases).

However the universal gas law is telling you something else.

It is telling you that it isn't only the volume which increases with temperature it is also the pressure and that the end result is an interplay between increase in both. That is a given increase in temperature can result in a bigger an increase in pressure and a smaller (or even none at all) increase in volume. It is even possible to think of a negative volume increase ( a decrease) with sufficient increase in pressure.

Last edited:
Tweedle Dee said:
PV=nRT tells me if we increase the volume, the temperature increases – which means the internal energy increase.

That's right. The ideal gas equation says that if you increase the volume and keep the pressure constant, the temperature increases.

To keep the pressure constant when the volume increases, you have to add energy to the gas. if you don't add energy (or if you remove energy, as in a heat engine whcih does mechanical work as the gas expands) the temperature will decrease.

Tweedle Dee said:
I know I’m missing something obvious but I just don’t see it. This is classical physics, not quantum, so the answer should be apparent to me. It’s not.
Your question comes up a lot in the ideal gas law, and it's actually quite an important question because it gets to the heart of what equations mean in physics. An equation is just something that will be true, it doesn't say why it's true or come with some logical explanation-- you have to supply that yourself, and often it helps to rewrite the equation in a different form. For example, take the equation F=ma. This equation can also be written a = F/m, and it's the same equation mathematically, but note that it is "saying" something completely different in that form. Written F=ma, the equation seems to tell us that if you have a mass m, and you see an acceleration a, then there must be a net force F on the object. But if you write it a = F/m, it says that if you have a mass m, and impose a force F, you should expect an acceleration a = F/m. Note this second form is much more like a "cause and effect" explanation of the equation-- we don't say that having acceleration a "causes" force F to appear magically, we say that having a force F causes an acceleration a.

Now consider the ideal gas law. It is customary to write it PV=nRT, as you did, but this is not actually a very logically "cause and effect" kind of way to write it in most of the situations where it gets used. That's because n and T do not determine P and V in most situations. One common situation is when you have a container of fixed V with fixed n, and we control T and let P vary (say by keeping it in equilibrium with an environment at some T, this is called "isothermal"), then P = nRT/V. Another common situation is that we control P and let T and V vary (say with a piston, and insulate the container from any outside heat, this is called "adiabatic"), such that V/T= nR/P. This seems to be the case you are imagining, but note that is no problem with V decreasing when T increases, because this is all accomplished by an even larger increase in P. Here you need a second constraint, coming from conservation of energy, to determine how V and T behave-- the ideal gas law only tells you how V/T behaves. So the "cause and effect" is that P increases cause V/T to decrease, but conservation of energy is what causes V and T to go in opposite directions.

Incidentally, a place where a similar question emerges is in the Earth's atmosphere. Students notice that the T drops as you go up, but the density n/V also drops, and this doesn't make sense to them because the ideal gas law seems to say n/V is inversely proportional to T. But that assumes P stays fixed, and the real "cause and effect" logic of the ideal gas law in the atmosphere emerges when we write it n/V = P/RT. Both P and T are set by other processes in the atmosphere, and the ideal gas law is just an equation for the density n/V, which responds to P and T in such a way that the small decrease in T is overwhelmed by the large decrease in P, and n/V drops as you go up.

Last edited:
That's because n and T do not determine P and V in most situations.

I hope you are not implying V is not equal to nRT/P for an ideal gas?

The problem with writing equations in fractional form is always what happens when the quantitity on the bottom is zero.

AlephZero said:
To keep the pressure constant when the volume increases, you have to add energy to the gas.

OK - that might be what I was missing. (And I was glad to hear I'm not the only one confused about this.)

I can see I still need to think about this and also play with some problems.

1. Why is ‘T’ not inversely proportional to ‘V’ in the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law, PV=nRT, states that the pressure (P) and volume (V) of a gas are inversely proportional when the number of moles (n) and the gas constant (R) are held constant. However, the temperature (T) is directly proportional to the volume. This is because temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the gas particles, and as the volume increases, the particles have more space to move around and therefore, more kinetic energy.

2. How does ‘T’ affect ‘V’ in the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law shows that as temperature (T) increases, volume (V) also increases. This is because the average kinetic energy of the gas particles increases, causing them to move faster and take up more space. On the other hand, as temperature decreases, volume also decreases as the gas particles have less kinetic energy and move closer together.

3. Why is ‘T’ not inversely proportional to ‘V’ in real gases?

In real gases, the relationship between temperature (T) and volume (V) is not always directly proportional. This is because real gases do not always behave ideally, meaning they do not always follow the ideal gas law exactly. Real gases have interactions between particles and may have non-uniformity in their volume, making the relationship between T and V more complex.

4. What factors influence the relationship between ‘T’ and ‘V’ in real gases?

The relationship between temperature (T) and volume (V) in real gases is influenced by several factors such as the type of gas, pressure, and intermolecular forces. Different gases have different molecular structures and interactions, which can affect their behavior. Pressure can also affect the volume of a gas, as it can compress or expand the gas. Intermolecular forces, such as Van der Waals forces, can also impact the volume of a gas by causing attractions or repulsions between gas particles.

5. Can the relationship between ‘T’ and ‘V’ be accurately described by any other laws?

The ideal gas law is a simplified equation that describes the behavior of a gas under ideal conditions. For real gases, other equations such as the van der Waals equation or the Virial equation may provide more accurate descriptions of the relationship between T and V. These equations take into account the non-ideal behavior of gases and can better predict their behavior at different temperatures and volumes.