How successful is pair production?

Also, has anyone ever succeeded in creating a proton-antiproton pair from gamma rays? Is it possible?In summary, when a photon interacts with a nucleus, a positron and an electron are created, provided the photon has enough energy. The probability of this occurring depends on the photon energy and the nucleus, with heavier nuclei having a higher probability. The probability is usually expressed as a cross-section with the unit of an area. It is not possible to determine the exact number of electron-positron pairs that will be created from firing 100 photons at a nucleus without specifying the beam characteristics. As for creating a proton-antiproton pair from gamma rays, it is theoretically possible, but the success of this has not been documented
Michio Cuckoo
when a photon interacts with a nucleus, a positron and an electron are created, provided the photo has enough energy.

But what is the probabilty of this occurring? If i fire 100 photons at a nucleus, how many electron-positron pairs will i create?

Also, has anyone ever succeeded in creating a proton-antiproton pair from gamma rays?
Is it possible?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Michio Cuckoo said:
But what is the probabilty of this occurring? If i fire 100 photons at a nucleus, how many electron-positron pairs will i create?
The question is not well-defined, even if you define photon energy and the nucleus. You have to use something like "photons per area" or "nuclei per area", otherwise it depends on the beam characteristics.
Usually, this probability is expressed as cross-section with the unit of an area. You can view it like "if a photon (randomly) hits this small area, it will do pair-production".
For heavy nuclei, the cross-section is comparable to the size of the nuclei, which is some femtometer^2. However, I do not know precise values.

Related to How successful is pair production?

What is pair production?

Pair production is a process in which a particle and its antiparticle are created from a single photon of sufficient energy.

What determines the success of pair production?

The success of pair production is determined by the energy of the photon and the properties of the particles being produced. The energy of the photon must be at least twice the rest mass energy of the particles in order for the process to occur.

How is pair production used in scientific research?

Pair production is used in a variety of research fields, including particle physics, astrophysics, and quantum mechanics. It helps scientists understand the fundamental properties of particles and the interactions between matter and radiation.

Can pair production occur in any environment?

No, pair production typically occurs in high-energy environments such as in particle accelerators or in the presence of strong electromagnetic fields. In everyday environments, the energy of photons is not high enough to produce particle-antiparticle pairs.

Are there any practical applications of pair production?

Currently, there are no practical applications of pair production. However, it is a fundamental process in the universe and has potential for future technological applications, such as in quantum computing and energy production.