How often would a ϕ meson decay to a electron-positron pair?

imgamedeving
TL;DR Summary
If a J/ψ decays to an electron-positron pair 5% of the time, how often would a ϕ
meson decay to a electron-positron pair?
I know the mass of J/ψ to be 3097 mev and the mass of phi to be 1018 mev. I know that J/ψ decays to electron and positron 5% of the time. I also know the full width of j/psi to be 0.092mev and that the phi meson lives 50 times longer than J/ψ
. My professor claims that if I am given that info and can draw the feynman diagrams for both interactions then it should be possible to make an estimate on how often the phi meson decays to electron-positron pair too. But I dont understand how this can done.I have drawn both diagrams (c-cbar or s-sbar to electron and positron with photon boson between). I also know the following formulas:

total width = \hbar / \tau where tau is the decay time of the particle. I also know that the branching fraction is given as:

BF = partial width / total widthIm not sure how one could estimate the branching fraction of phi to electron-positron pair.

Physics news on Phys.org
imgamedeving said:
My professor claims ,,, But I dont understand
And when you told him you didn't understand, what did he say?

If you are more interested in the answer, you can look it up: pdp.lbl.gov.

Likes topsquark
imgamedeving said:
and that the phi meson lives 50 times longer than J/ψ
You might want to check that.

1. How often would a ϕ meson decay to a electron-positron pair?

The decay rate of a ϕ meson to an electron-positron pair is determined by its branching ratio, which is approximately 2.9%. This means that out of every 100 ϕ meson decays, around 2.9 of them will result in the production of an electron-positron pair.

2. What factors influence the decay rate of a ϕ meson to an electron-positron pair?

The decay rate of a ϕ meson to an electron-positron pair is influenced by various factors such as the mass of the particles involved, the strength of the weak interaction, and the available phase space for the decay process to occur.

3. How is the decay of a ϕ meson to an electron-positron pair detected experimentally?

The decay of a ϕ meson to an electron-positron pair can be detected experimentally by observing the energy and momentum of the resulting electron and positron using particle detectors. By analyzing the properties of these particles, scientists can confirm the occurrence of the decay process.

4. Are there any theoretical predictions about the decay rate of a ϕ meson to an electron-positron pair?

The decay rate of a ϕ meson to an electron-positron pair can be calculated using theoretical models such as quantum field theory. These predictions help scientists understand the underlying mechanisms of the decay process and compare them with experimental results.

5. What are the implications of the decay of a ϕ meson to an electron-positron pair in particle physics?

The decay of a ϕ meson to an electron-positron pair provides valuable insights into the fundamental interactions between particles and the behavior of matter at the subatomic level. Studying this decay process helps scientists test the predictions of the Standard Model of particle physics and explore the possibility of new physics beyond our current understanding.