Acceleration under Coloumb's Law

In summary, the conversation is discussing the equations F = q q/r^2 and ma = q q / r^2 and how mass applies to them. The participants also touch on the concept of an acceleration field and how it relates to mass. The conversation concludes with the clarification that the mass can be assigned to either particle in the equation depending on which particle's acceleration is being measured.
Nano-Passion
F = q q/r^2
ma = q q / r^2

Under which particle does the mass apply to?

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay I've got it figured out. So like the acceleration field of gravitation, we may choose to define m as m_1 or m_2. And that gives you the equation of what field a mass imparts.

So
[tex]a = k \frac{q_1 q_2}{m_2 r^2} [/tex]
is the field of acceleration imparted by mass of q_1, in other words m_1

Last edited:
That's not field. Those are equations for the electrostatic force. acceleration is not imparted by mass.

xAxis said:
That's not field. Those are equations for the electrostatic force. acceleration is not imparted by mass.

Yes it isn't an electric field, but it can be easily thought of as an acceleration field. We can think of the equation as the acceleration of the second particle is inversely proportional to the its mass. m_2 is the mass of particle_2 with q_2,

Acceleration is not imparted by mass, but acceleration lessens when the mass is higher.

When I say field, I'm talking about an affect that permeates space.

Ok, true, but then what is your question? :)

xAxis said:
Ok, true, but then what is your question? :)

Hey,

My question was partly confused by which particle m should be assigned to under the equation

[tex] ma = k \frac{q_1 q_2}{r^2}[/tex]

But I figured it out in the second post. It seems that it can be assigned to which ever one you want, depending on which particle's acceleration you want to measure. I apologize for the confusion. :yuck:

1. What is Coloumb's Law?

Coloumb's Law is a fundamental principle in physics that describes the force between two charged particles. It states that the force between two charged particles is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How does acceleration under Coloumb's Law differ from acceleration due to gravity?

Acceleration under Coloumb's Law is caused by the electric force between two charged particles, while acceleration due to gravity is caused by the gravitational force between two masses. Additionally, acceleration under Coloumb's Law can be either attractive or repulsive, while acceleration due to gravity is always attractive.

3. Is acceleration under Coloumb's Law affected by the medium between two charged particles?

Yes, the medium between two charged particles can affect the acceleration under Coloumb's Law. The presence of a medium, such as air or water, can change the strength and direction of the electric force between two charged particles.

4. How does the distance between two charged particles affect the acceleration under Coloumb's Law?

The distance between two charged particles has a significant impact on the acceleration under Coloumb's Law. As the distance between the particles decreases, the electric force between them increases, resulting in a greater acceleration. As the distance increases, the force and acceleration decrease.

5. Can acceleration under Coloumb's Law be negative?

Yes, acceleration under Coloumb's Law can be negative. This occurs when the charges of the two particles are opposite, resulting in an attractive force. In this case, the acceleration is in the opposite direction of the initial motion of the charged particles, resulting in a negative value.