The Hamiltonian and Galilean transformations

In summary, the conversation discusses the Hamiltonian for a system consisting of a mass attached to a spring mounted on a massless carriage which moves with uniform velocity U. By using different coordinates, q and Q, the Hamiltonian can have a term in U or not, leading to confusion about its physical significance. It is shown that a canonical transformation is necessary to keep the Hamiltonian form-invariant and to eliminate the term in U. This is also equivalent to a transformation in the Lagrangian formalism.
epovo
TL;DR Summary
The effect of a coordinate transformation on the Hamiltonian is surprising (for me!)
In a classical example, for a system consisting of a mass attached to a spring mounted on a massless carriage which moves with uniform velocity U, as in the image below, the Hamiltonian, using coordinate q, has two terms with U in it.
But if we use coordinate Q, ##Q=q−Ut##, which moves with the carriage, the Hamiltonian, to my surprise, still contains a term in U.

$$ H=\frac 1 2 p^2/m+Up+\frac 1 2 kQ^2 $$

By choosing coordinate Q I assumed we have moved to a static frame of reference in which U can be ignored. But that does not seem to be the case.
I could calculate the Hamiltonian as if the carriage was static, and I would of course get

$$ H=\frac 1 2 P^2/m+\frac 1 2 kQ^2 $$

I am confused.

1683296425497.png

Physics news on Phys.org
What are definitions of p and P ? I see
[tex]PE=\frac{1}{2}kQ^2[/tex]
[tex]KE=\frac{m}{2}(U+\dot{Q})^2[/tex]

ok,
$$ L = \frac{m}{2}(U+\dot{Q})^2 - \frac{1}{2}kQ^2$$
$$ p = m\dot{Q} + mU $$
$$ H = \dot Q p - L = ...= \frac 1 2 p^2/m+U p+\frac 1 2 kQ^2 $$

If we ignore U completely, Kinetic Energy is simply ## KE = \frac{m}{2}\dot{Q}^2 ##. Therefore

$$ P = \frac {\partial L} { \dot Q} = m \dot Q $$
and
$$H=\frac 1 2 P^2/m+\frac 1 2 kQ^2$$

My confusion is that the first formulation of H contains a term in U and the second one, which should be equivalent, does not. Which leads me to think of the Hamiltonian as little more than a mathematical device with no physical significance.
Either formulation leads to the same, and correct, equations of motion.

Likes anuttarasammyak
Thanks for details. I got one of a diferent signature
[tex]H=\frac{p^2}{2m}-Up+\frac{k}{2}Q^2[/tex]
which gives a equation
[tex]\frac{\partial H}{\partial p}=\frac{p}{m}-U=\dot{Q}[/tex]
-Up term seems all right.
epovo said:
My confusion is that the first formulation of H contains a term in U and the second one, which should be equivalent, does not. Which leads me to think of the Hamiltonian as little more than a mathematical device with no physical significance.
Either formulation leads to the same, and correct, equations of motion.
The first one and the second one belong to different inertial frame of references, IFRs. Hamiltonian is not invariant under Galilean transformations.

Likes vanhees71 and strangerep
Note that you have to do a canonical transformation in the Hamiltonian formalism in order to have form invariance. So let's write everything a bit more careful.

You start with phase-space coordinates ##(Q,P)##. The Lagrangian reads
$$L=\frac{m}{2} (\dot{Q}+U)^2-\frac{k}{2} Q^2.$$
The canonical momentum is
$$P=\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{Q}}=m(\dot{Q}+U).$$
The Hamiltonian reads
$$H'(Q,P,t)=P \dot{Q}-L=m (\dot{Q}^2+U \dot{Q})-\frac{m}{2} (\dot{Q}^2+2 \dot{Q} U +U^2)+\frac{k}{2} Q^2=
\frac{m}{2} \dot{Q}^2 -\frac{m}{2} U^2 + \frac{k}{2} Q^2.$$
Now we have eliminate ##\dot{Q}## in favor of ##P##:
$$H'=\frac{m}{2} (P/m-U)^2-\frac{m}{2}U^2 + \frac{k}{2} Q^2 = \frac{1}{2m} P^2 - P U + \frac{k}{2} Q^2.$$

Now you want to change to new canonical coordinates ##(q,p)## with ##q=Q+U t##. So we have to find the corresponding canonical transformation. The most simple way is to find a generating function ##g=g(q,P,t)##. Then
$$Q=\frac{\partial g}{\partial P}, \quad p=\frac{\partial g}{\partial q}, \quad H=H'-\frac{\partial g}{\partial t}.$$
Obviously
$$g=P(q-Ut)$$
does the job, and you get
$$H=\frac{p^2}{2m} +\frac{k}{2}(q-Ut)^2,$$
which is also what you directly get from starting with the Lagrangian
$$L=\frac{m}{2} \dot{q}^2-\frac{k}{2}(q-Ut)^2.$$

I didn't know about canonical transformations. But I thought that by making the coordinate transformation ##Q=q-Ut##, I had changed my frame of reference, so that U loses its meaning and should not be part of the Lagrangian at all.

When you work in the Hamiltonian formulation, you must use a canonical transformation to keep the formalism form-invariant (general symplectomorphism invariance of phase space). In the Lagrangian formalism you can do arbitrary transformations of the generalized coordinates (general diffeomorphism invariance of configuration space).

In the Lagrange formalism you have
$$L=\frac{m}{2} (\dot{Q}+U)^2 + \frac{k}{2} Q^2 = \frac{m}{2} \dot{Q}^2 + \frac{k}{2} Q^2 + m \dot{Q} U +\frac{m}{2} U^2=\underbrace{\frac{m}{2} \dot{Q}^2 + \frac{k}{2} Q^2}_{L'} +\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d} t} \left (m QU + \frac{m}{2} U^2 t \right).$$
The Lagrangian ##L'## is thus equivalent to the Lagrangian ##L##, and ##L'## is indeed independent of ##U## as it's clear from Galilei invariance.

Likes epovo and anuttarasammyak
Thank you very much @vanhees71 : That gives me peace of mind. It will probably be covered later in the text I am following, but when I saw this example I was troubled :)

You can also get this within the Hamiltonian formalism. Starting again from
$$H'=\frac{1}{2m} (P-mU)^2 -\frac{1}{2m} ^2 + \frac{k}{2} Q^2,$$
we look for a canonical transformation which leads to ##p=P-mU## and ##q=Q## and such as to make ##H(q,p)## independent of ##U##.

We use again the generating function of the type ##g(q,P,t)##. Then we have
$$Q=\frac{\partial g}{P} \stackrel{!}{=}q \; \Rightarrow \; g(q,P,t)=q P + g_2(q,t).$$
Nowe we want
$$p=\frac{\partial g}{\partial q} \stackrel{!}{=}P-mU=P+\frac{\partial g_2}{\partial q} \; \Rightarrow \; g_2(q,t)=-m U q + g_3(t).$$
Then you get
$$H=H'-\frac{\partial g}{\partial t}=\frac{1}{2m} p^2 -\frac{1}{2m} U^2 + \frac{k}{2} q^2 -\dot{g}_3.$$
So setting
$$g_3(t)=-\frac{1}{2m} U^2 t$$
we finally get
$$H=\frac{1}{2m} p^2 + \frac{k}{2} q^2.$$

Likes epovo

1. What is the Hamiltonian transformation and how is it used in physics?

The Hamiltonian transformation is a mathematical tool used to describe the dynamics of a physical system. It is based on the Hamiltonian function, which is a mathematical expression that describes the total energy of a system in terms of its position and momentum. This transformation is used in physics to solve problems involving the motion of particles and to predict the future behavior of a system.

2. How does the Hamiltonian transformation differ from the Galilean transformation?

The Hamiltonian transformation and the Galilean transformation are two different mathematical approaches used to describe the motion of objects in physics. The main difference between the two is that the Hamiltonian transformation is based on energy conservation, while the Galilean transformation is based on the principle of relativity. The Hamiltonian transformation is also more general and can be used to describe both classical and quantum systems, while the Galilean transformation is limited to classical mechanics.

3. What are the applications of the Hamiltonian and Galilean transformations?

The Hamiltonian and Galilean transformations have many applications in physics. They are used to solve problems involving the motion of particles, such as predicting the trajectory of a projectile or the behavior of a pendulum. They are also used in fields such as quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and fluid dynamics to describe the behavior of complex systems.

4. How do the Hamiltonian and Galilean transformations relate to each other?

The Hamiltonian transformation can be seen as a generalization of the Galilean transformation. In fact, in the classical limit, the Hamiltonian transformation reduces to the Galilean transformation. However, the Hamiltonian transformation is more powerful and can be used to describe systems that cannot be described by the Galilean transformation, such as quantum systems.

5. Are there any limitations to the Hamiltonian and Galilean transformations?

While the Hamiltonian and Galilean transformations are powerful tools in physics, they do have some limitations. The Galilean transformation is limited to classical mechanics and cannot be applied to systems that involve relativistic effects. The Hamiltonian transformation, while more general, also has limitations when applied to complex systems, as it can be difficult to find an exact solution for the Hamiltonian function. In these cases, numerical methods may be used to approximate the solution.