Retaking a Course: Is it Looked Down Upon?

• Courses
  • Thread starter UrbanXrisis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Course
In summary, retaking a course may not be necessary or beneficial if a student received a B as their final grade. If the student feels that they did not learn anything the first time, then retaking may be a good idea. However, if the student understands the material and only made minor mistakes on tests, retaking may not be necessary.
UrbanXrisis
is retaking a course looked down upon? Say a student got a B as his final grade. would the student be better off in the long run to not have retaken the class and gotten an A?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think so. Nor can I think of a good reason to retake a course you got a B from.

If you feel that you didn't learn anything the first time around then I can see a point in retaking it.

If you feel that you know the material and you just made some mistakes on tests that gave you a B then I don't see the point.

1. Is retaking a course considered a failure?

No, retaking a course is not necessarily considered a failure. It is common for students to retake a course in order to improve their understanding and grades.

2. Will retaking a course affect my GPA?

Yes, retaking a course will affect your GPA. Both attempts will be included in your GPA calculation, so if you improve your grade in the retake, your GPA will likely increase.

3. Is it worth retaking a course?

It depends on your individual situation. If the course is a prerequisite for a major or graduate program, it may be worth retaking in order to meet the requirements. Additionally, if you struggled in the course and need a better understanding of the material, retaking it may be beneficial.

4. Will retaking a course show on my transcript?

Yes, both attempts of the course will typically appear on your transcript. However, some schools may have a policy where only the retake grade is shown on the transcript or the original grade is marked as repeated. It is best to check with your school's policies.

5. How many times can I retake a course?

This varies depending on the school and program. Some schools may have a limit on the number of times a course can be retaken, while others may allow unlimited attempts. It is important to check with your academic advisor or school policies to determine the specific guidelines for retaking a course.