When to Use TE, TM, & TEM Modes for Modeling Optical Fields

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of TE, TM, and TEM modes in modeling optical fields. It is important to use TE and TM modes in guided-wave optics, while TEM modes are only suitable for free space optics. The conversation also mentions the use of linearly polarized (LP) modes as an approximation for TE, TM, and hybrid modes in weakly guiding waveguides. Some helpful resources, such as Wikipedia and a website with Java applets, are also mentioned. The conversation ends with a question about the purpose of the modeling.
J77
Can anyone point me to an online resource which gives details - and applications - as to when one should model an optical field using TE and TM modes, and when it's OK to use TEM modes.

Cheers.

edit: should've stuck this in the normal physics forum... mods please move...

More specifics - TE and TM modes can exist in a bounded waveguide, TEM modes can't - however, they can exist in cables... but isn't the latter bounded ?

:confused:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Wikipedia sums it up nicely;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transverse_mode

Basically, if you are dealing with plane waves (free space optics), TEM modes are ok, in any time of waveguide (guided-wave optics), you need to stick with TE, TM (for weakly-guiding waveguides) or hybrid (HE, EH) modes.

Claude.

Mw

I thought that I had some old links that were still availabe, but the only one that I was able to come across is:

http://www.amanogawa.com/index.html

It may be helpful. It has some interesting applets which allow you to do some quick test guesses. May be useful for other applications as well.

Let me know if they are of any help, and I will continue looking for my old microwave notebook.

-pud-

J77 said:
More specifics - TE and TM modes can exist in a bounded waveguide, TEM modes can't - however, they can exist in cables... but isn't the latter bounded ?

:confused:

I had a thought...

My knowledge of electronics is not that vast, but it is my understanding that cables are NOT bounded waveguides because they radiate energy, particularly at micro-wave frequencies where these types of definitions are likely to apply. A bounded waveguide would not radiate energy in this manner.

Claude.

Thanks for the info - and those Java applets look fun.

I'm starting to get my head around them now - my missing slight missing link is complete understanding into how the TE, TM and hybrid HE, EH modes can be approximated by linearly polarized LP modes.

I'm getting there tho...

As long as your waveguides are weakly guiding you can reduce the vector wave-equation into a series of scalar wave-equations. This essentially de-couples each orthogonal component (x, y, z or r, theta, phi depending on symmetry) from one another. I don't remember the exact details, but this is the first step toward approximating TE, TM and hybrid modes into LP modes.

Just out of interest, what exactly are you trying to model?

Claude.

Last edited:

1. What are the TE, TM, and TEM modes used for in optical field modeling?

The TE, TM, and TEM modes are mathematical models used to describe how electromagnetic waves propagate within optical devices. These modes can be used to analyze the behavior of light within a given structure and predict its properties, such as intensity, polarization, and phase.

2. How do I determine which mode to use for my optical field modeling?

The choice of mode depends on the specific properties of the optical structure being modeled. In general, the TE mode is used for structures with a transverse electric field, the TM mode is used for structures with a transverse magnetic field, and the TEM mode is used for structures with both transverse electric and magnetic fields. It is important to carefully consider the geometry and properties of the structure to determine the appropriate mode to use.

3. Can multiple modes be used simultaneously in optical field modeling?

Yes, it is possible to use multiple modes simultaneously in optical field modeling. This is often necessary for more complex structures where the behavior of different modes cannot be accurately described by a single mode. However, it is important to carefully consider the interactions between different modes and how they may affect the overall results.

4. Are there any limitations to using TE, TM, and TEM modes in optical field modeling?

While TE, TM, and TEM modes are commonly used in optical field modeling, they do have some limitations. These modes assume that the optical structure is infinite and does not take into account any boundary effects or material properties. Additionally, the modes are only valid for structures with smooth and continuous boundaries, so they may not accurately describe structures with sharp edges or discontinuities.

5. What are some practical applications of using TE, TM, and TEM modes in optical field modeling?

TE, TM, and TEM modes are widely used in the design and optimization of optical devices, such as waveguides, lasers, and photonic crystals. They can also be used to analyze the performance of optical sensors and determine the optimal conditions for specific applications. Additionally, these modes can be used in conjunction with other modeling techniques to provide a more comprehensive understanding of light-matter interactions in optical systems.