Question: magnetic field blocking

In summary, magnetic field blocking is a phenomenon in which a magnetic field is prevented from passing through a material due to its properties. This effect is commonly observed in ferromagnetic materials and is utilized in various applications such as electromagnetic shielding and magnetic storage devices. The ability to block magnetic fields is determined by the permeability and coercivity of a material, which can be controlled through various methods such as temperature and external magnetic fields.
golansha
Does anyone know of a substance that can block a magnetic field?

Physics news on Phys.org
golansha said:

Look up something called "mu metals".

Caution: there are no practical material (of arbitrary thickness) that can shield magnetic field of arbitrary strength. So your question is rather vague.

Zz.

I've heard of one, I think it started with an I.

golansha, are you talking about the meissner effect ?

Check the superconductors.
(Not blocking but an interesting effect!)

Gokul43201 said:
golansha, are you talking about the meissner effect ?

Are you talking about superconductors, Gokul?

XMLT

golansha said:

I've found such an interesting question on this website,
http://www.Newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/phy00/phy00508.htm

It is also very helpful for my little knowledge about the magnetic field. So thanks for the question :smile:

XMLT

FAQ: Question: magnetic field blocking

What is a magnetic field blocking?

A magnetic field blocking refers to the process of using a material or device to prevent the effects of a magnetic field.

Why is magnetic field blocking important?

Magnetic field blocking is important because it can protect sensitive electronic equipment from being affected by external magnetic fields. It is also crucial in industries such as healthcare and transportation, where magnetic fields can interfere with the proper functioning of equipment.

How does magnetic field blocking work?

Magnetic field blocking works by using materials with high magnetic permeability to redirect the magnetic field lines away from the protected area. This creates a shield that prevents the magnetic field from reaching the sensitive equipment.

What materials are commonly used for magnetic field blocking?

Some common materials used for magnetic field blocking include high-permeability alloys such as mu-metal, ferrite, and permalloy. Soft iron and steel are also effective in blocking magnetic fields.

Can magnetic field blocking be used in everyday life?

Yes, magnetic field blocking can be used in everyday life. For example, magnetic shielding is commonly used in household appliances such as refrigerators and microwave ovens to prevent the magnetic fields from interfering with other electronic devices. It is also used in medical devices such as MRI machines to protect patients from external magnetic fields.