Change of Basis Matrices for R2[x] with B and B

In summary, to find the change of basis matrices [id]B'toB and [id]BtoB' for R2[x], you will need to write the vectors in basis B as linear combinations of the vectors in basis B'. This involves understanding how to write linear transformations as matrices and knowing the concept of change of basis. It is recommended to review this topic before attempting this problem.
masp3
consider the basis B={1,x,x^2} and B'={1,1-x,x^2-4x+2} for R2[x]. Find the change of basis matricses [id]B'toB and [id]BtoB'

Really stuck on this! anyone can help me please?

Physics news on Phys.org
What have you done to start with? What do you know about writing linear transformations as matrices to begin with?

One of the things you will need to do is write the vectors in basis B as linear combinations of the vectors in base B'. Can you do that?

I have done nothing to start with and don't know what to do as I missed this part of the course!

Then you should not be doing this problem until you have talked to your teacher or at least reviewed this in your textbook.

Firstly do you know what does "change of basis" mean in the first place? I found something online which you may want to read through:
http://www.math.hmc.edu/calculus/tutorials/changebasis/

What is a change of basis matrix for R2[x] with B and B?

A change of basis matrix for R2[x] with B and B is a matrix used to transform coordinates from one basis to another in the vector space R2[x]. It is often used in linear algebra to simplify calculations and solve problems involving transformations.

How do you find the change of basis matrix for R2[x] with B and B?

To find the change of basis matrix for R2[x] with B and B, you need to first determine the coordinates of the basis vectors in both bases. Then, arrange these coordinates as columns in a matrix, with the coordinates of the basis vectors in the original basis on the left, and the coordinates in the new basis on the right. This matrix is the change of basis matrix.

What is the purpose of using a change of basis matrix in R2[x] with B and B?

The main purpose of using a change of basis matrix in R2[x] with B and B is to simplify calculations involving transformations. By converting coordinates from one basis to another, it becomes easier to perform vector operations, such as addition, subtraction, and multiplication by a scalar.

Can a change of basis matrix be used in any vector space?

Yes, a change of basis matrix can be used in any vector space. However, the process of finding the change of basis matrix may vary depending on the specific vector space and basis vectors involved.

Are there any limitations or restrictions to using a change of basis matrix in R2[x] with B and B?

One limitation of using a change of basis matrix in R2[x] with B and B is that the vectors in both bases must be linearly independent. Otherwise, the matrix will not be invertible and the transformation cannot be properly defined. Additionally, the dimensions of the bases must also match, i.e. both bases must have the same number of vectors.