Charging a deep cycle battery from cigarette lighter socket

In summary, Ian is looking for advice on how to charge a 70 amp hour deep cycle battery from a cigarette lighter socket while traveling. He is concerned about drawing too much current from the car's circuit and is wondering if there is a current regulating device available. His car does not have room for a full RV style dual battery system and he is also worried about the potential hazards of charging the battery in the passenger area. The suggested solution is to use a dual diode setup and seek assistance from car audio places experienced in setting up high power amps.
Ian_j_s
hi,
I'd just like some advice on how best to charge a 70 amp hour deep cycle battery from a cigarette lighter socket. I use the battery to run my 35 litre waeco fridge when I'm camping for a couple of days, but would then like to charge the battery while travelling. I'm guessing a flat 70AHr battery will draw too much current from the car's circuit. Is there a current regulating device available for this purpose? My car has no room for a full RV style dual battery system.
Thanks in advance,
Ian. S.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Ian.
My first step would be to check the fuse panel and see what the rating for the lighter socket is. In any vehicle that I've owned, the lighter was on a circuit all to itself.

Maybe you should just buy a lighter-plug trickle charger.

Ian_j_s said:
hi,
I'd just like some advice on how best to charge a 70 amp hour deep cycle battery from a cigarette lighter socket. I use the battery to run my 35 litre waeco fridge when I'm camping for a couple of days, but would then like to charge the battery while travelling. I'm guessing a flat 70AHr battery will draw too much current from the car's circuit. Is there a current regulating device available for this purpose? My car has no room for a full RV style dual battery system.
Thanks in advance,
Ian. S.
Yes, a flat battery that size is going to draw too much current to plug directly in the cigarette lighter socket.
The other issue is that you don't want the battery in the passenger area.
There is always the possibility of explosion from accumulated gasses vented off in charging.

Another problem is that if you use current limiting then it's going to take a very long drive to charge it up.
A minimum of 8 hours with the 10A limit of most cigarette lighter sockets.
You took 70amp hours out with the fridge. You got to put at least that much back in.

You might want to reconsider the RV type dual charger.
The dual diode setup is very small, so all you really need is a place to put the battery while you're driving to charge it.
The dual diode setup doesn't require the 2nd battery to be in place so you can take the battery out if you want without removing the circuitry.
It's still going to take an hour or two of driving to give it a fair charge.

You might want to check out some car audio places doing high power amps.
I suspect some will have experience and the necessary hardware to set this up for you.

1. How long does it take to charge a deep cycle battery from a cigarette lighter socket?

The charging time for a deep cycle battery from a cigarette lighter socket can vary depending on the size and capacity of the battery, as well as the output of the cigarette lighter socket. In general, it can take anywhere from 6-12 hours to fully charge a deep cycle battery from a cigarette lighter socket.

2. Is it safe to charge a deep cycle battery from a cigarette lighter socket?

Yes, it is generally safe to charge a deep cycle battery from a cigarette lighter socket. However, it is important to make sure that the cigarette lighter socket and the battery charger are compatible and that the charger has the proper safety features, such as overcharge protection.

3. Can I charge a deep cycle battery while driving?

It is possible to charge a deep cycle battery while driving by using a DC-to-DC converter. This converter allows the battery to be charged from the vehicle's alternator while driving. However, it is important to take precautions and monitor the battery's voltage to avoid overcharging.

4. How do I know when the deep cycle battery is fully charged?

Most deep cycle batteries have a built-in indicator or a charge controller that will show when the battery is fully charged. There may also be a light on the battery charger that turns green when the battery is fully charged. It is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions for your specific battery and charger.

5. Can I charge a deep cycle battery from a cigarette lighter socket using a solar panel?

Yes, it is possible to charge a deep cycle battery from a cigarette lighter socket using a solar panel. However, it is important to make sure that the solar panel is compatible with the cigarette lighter socket and that it has the proper voltage and current output to charge the battery effectively.