Choosing battery for guitar amp

In summary: I would still recommend trying it out at a store.In summary, the author has a small guitar amp that he wants to retrofit with a battery for outdoor playing. He has two problems which he would like help with. The first is that he needs to calculate the current the amplifier absorbs in order to choose a battery, and the second is that he does not know what type of battery to buy. He is abandoning this project and is going to build a new one instead.
nareto
Hello, I have a small (24 Watt) guitar amp which I'd like to retrofit with a
battery for outdoor playing. I actually study mathematics and do electronics
mostly as an hobby, so I may miss some fundamental things (i.e. bare with me). Basically, I have two little problems which I'd like help with:

1) Is the following reasoning correct and appropriate?

I need to calculate the current the amplifier absorbs in order to choose a
battery capable of providing the same current. So, given the power consumption
is 24 watts at 220 V RMS (I'm in Italy), the current is 109 mA RMS. But since
I'd attach the battery after the rectifier that's inside the amp, I actually need peak to peak
amperes, so I'd need 154 mA from the battery. So, given I'd like the battery to last at least 1
hour, I'd need one with "C" greater than 1 and 154mah (for one hour),
154*2=308mah (for two hours) and so on.

2) if I know little about electronics, I know next to nothing about battery types
(lithium, lithium-polymer, nimh and so on). What would be a reccomended choice
for my project?
Ideally I'd like it to be cheap (the DC after the rectifier is
35V, so probably I'll need many of them), have many charge/discharge
cycles, have a simple (if any) recharging circuit, which I could power from
the 35V provided by the rectified "wall" power supply (I'd add a rotary switch so the amp
would either be off, running on battery, running on 220 or charging the battery
from the 220)

There's actually another little problem, that the rectifier provides a dual
supply (+-17V) to the amp circuit, but I allready found that I could achieve
that (with the battery) with a simple op-amp circuit (found here, for future
reference: http://tangentsoft.net/elec/vgrounds.html )

any help is very much appreciated
cheers

Engineering news on Phys.org
ok, done some research and I found out it's way more difficult than I thought. There's no circuit I could find to charge the 30 nimh or 9 lithium batteries I'd need to get close to the 35V, and anyhow they are not "easy" circuits (lithium batteries catching fire if you make the slightest mistake etc.)

So, I'm abandoning this and instead I'm going to build from scratch a 9-12V amp based probably on the tda2003 or similar unit

If you wanted to use the amplifier you already have, you might be able to find a small inverter to get 220 volts from a 12 volt car battery.

This would mean you could just leave the amplifier intact. 12 volt chargers are readily available and your amplifier would last several hours before the battery needed recharging.

Amplifiers are usually rated on maximum output power per channel, so yours may not use 24 watts all the time, but its input power could be higher tnan 24 watts when the amplifier is being used at full output.

Probably, you would need a 100+ watt inverter but it would need to be rated for low noise and varying load. You wouldn't want strange whistling noises accompanying your performance.

hey, thanks that's a good idea.

unfortunately cheap inverters I find around (searched for 2 mins though) like this one
http://www.pc210.com/productshtml/2008-11-4/DY-8102_20081147680.html

don't specify if they're for varying load and low noise... I should assume they are not, right?

But regarding the noise, shouldn't it be more or less canceled by the rectifier, which has capacitors in parallel?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an inexpensive [STRIKE]rectifier[/STRIKE] DC-AC inverter that I use to supply my telescopes drive from my vehicle's 12-volt battery when I am not near AC. The right-ascension drive is nice and quiet when it is plugged into real AC, but becomes noticeably noisier when it is plugged into the [STRIKE]rectifier[/STRIKE] inverter. For this reason, I have to think that the AC out of the [STRIKE]rectifier[/STRIKE] inverter is square-wave with sharp transitions. This could pose noise problems for you.

People who go camping, tenting, etc, may have [STRIKE]rectifiers[/STRIKE] inverters so they can enjoy some of the comforts of home when they have access to their vehicle's 12V system. You might ask around to see who owns such [STRIKE]rectifiers[/STRIKE] inverters, and ask if you can plug your amp into them to see if input noise is a problem... Probably a good way to get into this cheaply and avoid having to hack up your amplifier.

Last edited:
nareto said:
hey, thanks that's a good idea.

unfortunately cheap inverters I find around (searched for 2 mins though) like this one
http://www.pc210.com/productshtml/2008-11-4/DY-8102_20081147680.html

don't specify if they're for varying load and low noise... I should assume they are not, right?

But regarding the noise, shouldn't it be more or less canceled by the rectifier, which has capacitors in parallel?

You really need to take your amplifier and a speaker and a battery to the store and try it.

Unfortunately, there are inverters that put out a lot of harmonics as well as the wanted 220 volt sinewave.
This one says it puts out a "corrected sinewave" which is a polite way of saying it is a pretty rough sinewave and may contain a lot of harmonics.

The electrolytic capacitors may be able to correct some of this or you may be able to add extra filtering, but it is better to choose a good inverter with "true sinewave" output if you can.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for replies. I see, I'll have to find an inverter from someone and do some tests :)

turbo-1 I think you were saying "rectifier" in your post but meant "inverter"?

nareto said:
thanks for replies. I see, I'll have to find an inverter from someone and do some tests :)

turbo-1 I think you were saying "rectifier" in your post but meant "inverter"?
Yes, sorry. DC-to-AC inverter. Unfortunately, mine is quite cheap, and though it is accurate enough for a 'scope drive, it appears to have a square-wave output that would potentially create noise in your amp. For some reason, I'm having brain-cramps today. I have been building, restoring, and renovating tube amps since the early '70s, so I certainly know what a rectifier (tube or solid-state) is. Just being Duh! Original post is edited with strike-outs to highlight the Duh!

1. What type of battery should I use for my guitar amp?

The type of battery you should use for your guitar amp depends on the requirements of your specific amp. Some amps may require a specific type of battery, such as a 9-volt battery, while others may be compatible with multiple types. It is important to consult your amp's manual or do research online to determine the best battery type for your specific amp.

2. How do I know when it's time to replace the battery in my guitar amp?

If you notice a decrease in sound quality or volume, it may be time to replace the battery in your guitar amp. Some amps may also have a low battery indicator light that will turn on when the battery needs to be replaced. It is also a good idea to replace the battery in your amp periodically, even if it still seems to be functioning properly, to avoid any unexpected issues during a performance.

3. Can I use rechargeable batteries in my guitar amp?

Yes, you can use rechargeable batteries in your guitar amp as long as they are the appropriate type and voltage for your amp's requirements. Keep in mind that rechargeable batteries may have a shorter lifespan than non-rechargeable batteries and may need to be replaced more frequently.

4. How long will a battery typically last in a guitar amp?

The lifespan of a battery in a guitar amp can vary depending on factors such as the type and quality of the battery, the amp's power consumption, and how frequently the amp is used. On average, a battery can last anywhere from a few weeks to a few months in a guitar amp.

5. Are there any precautions I should take when changing the battery in my guitar amp?

Yes, it is important to follow safety precautions when changing the battery in your guitar amp. Make sure the amp is turned off and unplugged before replacing the battery. Also, be sure to handle the battery properly and dispose of it in accordance with local regulations. If you are unsure about how to safely change the battery, consult a professional or refer to the amp's manual for instructions.