Anyone familiar with the University of Manchester?

• Schools
  • Thread starter FordPrefect
  • Start date
  • Tags
    University
In summary, the conversation revolves around the speaker's interest in studying in the UK, specifically at the University of Manchester, for an undergraduate Masters degree in physics. They express their skepticism towards relying on "top 100" rankings and ask for specific information about Manchester's physics department, research opportunities, admissions standards for US students, and the campus. The response provides a brief overview of the university's history and reputation, mentions the availability of research opportunities, and directs the speaker to the university's website for information on admissions standards. The speaker is grateful for the information provided.
FordPrefect
I am currently a freshman at a university in the US, however I am considering studying in the UK to get an undergraduate Masters degree and I was wondering if anyone can give me some insight on Manchester or some university/colleges and their physics departments.

I am not necessarily at a shortage of information (I have exhausted google out for the past week or so), but rather, skeptical of the validity. These "top 100" rankings don't do much justice for me because I really don't learn much about the universities from them. When I visit the universities sites, of course, they all advertise only the positives about the institutions. So really, what I am getting at here, is to see if anyone can answer some specific questions regarding Manchester (or any other similar university you may suggest I look into).

Questions such as:
What is the reputation of the physics department at Manchester, in regards to people within the UK? Are the research opportunities decent, or as rewarding as some other institutions? What are the standards for a US student to be accepted (the requirements on their site are nothing I understand)? What is the campus like (I was very surprised to find that the only decent images of the campus on google were of the same 2 or 3 buildings!)?

And any other general information would be very much appreciated.

Thanks, -Ford

Physics news on Phys.org
FordPrefect said:
I am currently a freshman at a university in the US, however I am considering studying in the UK to get an undergraduate Masters degree and I was wondering if anyone can give me some insight on Manchester or some university/colleges and their physics departments.

I am not necessarily at a shortage of information (I have exhausted google out for the past week or so), but rather, skeptical of the validity. These "top 100" rankings don't do much justice for me because I really don't learn much about the universities from them. When I visit the universities sites, of course, they all advertise only the positives about the institutions. So really, what I am getting at here, is to see if anyone can answer some specific questions regarding Manchester (or any other similar university you may suggest I look into).

Questions such as:
What is the reputation of the physics department at Manchester, in regards to people within the UK?

The physics department at manchester is held in pretty high regard. I'm not sure how much you know about the history of the university, but manchester as it is now was formed a few years ago by the amalgamation of the victoria university of manchester and UMIST, so it's pretty big! See wiki, for example, for more info, and for 'famous' graduates.

Are the research opportunities decent, or as rewarding as some other institutions?

I'm not sure about this, but I will say that, in general, there are less "REUs" in the UK than there are in the US (if any).

What are the standards for a US student to be accepted (the requirements on their site are nothing I understand)?

Well, you obviously didn't look on their website properly! A few clicks away from the physics website is this: http://www.manchester.ac.uk/international/country/display/index.htm?id=67550&page=2

What is the campus like (I was very surprised to find that the only decent images of the campus on google were of the same 2 or 3 buildings!)?

Manchester isn't a 'campus' university in the strict sense of the word. It is in the city, and thus the campus consists of university buildings scattered around. Though, the majority of the buildings are on one of the major roads coming out of manchester (oxford road) and roads off it. Other than that, I'm not sure what you want to know about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, thanks for that link! You are right...I obviously didn't look properly.

Yeah, I know I said I was going to ask for specifics then ended up being very vague with the questions, but you pretty much covered what I wanted to know, thanks.

1. What is the University of Manchester known for?

The University of Manchester is known for its prestigious reputation as one of the top universities in the world. It is particularly renowned for its excellence in research, particularly in the fields of science and technology.

2. How many students attend the University of Manchester?

As of the 2020-2021 academic year, the University of Manchester has a total student population of over 40,000, including both undergraduate and postgraduate students.

3. What are the main campuses of the University of Manchester?

The University of Manchester has two main campuses: the North Campus and the South Campus. The North Campus is located in the city center, while the South Campus is located in the suburb of Fallowfield.

4. Does the University of Manchester offer undergraduate or postgraduate degrees?

Yes, the University of Manchester offers both undergraduate and postgraduate degrees in a wide range of subjects, including science, engineering, humanities, and social sciences.

5. How old is the University of Manchester?

The University of Manchester was founded in 1824, making it one of the oldest universities in the United Kingdom. However, it was not until 2004 that it officially became the University of Manchester, when two separate universities, the University of Manchester Institute of Science and Technology (UMIST) and the Victoria University of Manchester, merged together.