Reading up on what Geophysics is

In summary, a Geophysicist studies the effects of space events on the Earth. They might collect data or process it. They might also interpret it.
Dalgate
Heya, i live in the UK and at the moment I'm doing a lot of research as to what i want to specialize in in the future. Now I've done quite a bit of reading up on what Geophysics actually is, but i just can't nail the what's its really about.

Some places i read its about harnessing the Earth's resources such as oil and fuel etc etc. And in some cases, its about monitering natural distasters, how earthquakes, volcanic eruptions and tsunami's come about (which to be honest is more of what I'm looking for :P).

So i just wanted to know; what does a geophysicist really do, also, is this course an established course offered by many universities?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Ok, so I've read up a lot more things online that tickle my fancies and i find myself most interested in the space activities that effect the earth. Things such as Gamma ray bursts that cause events such as the 2004 tsunami. The effect of Solar flares on the Earth etc.

I would really like to know what subject area covers these kind things, because it's what fascinates me the most.

It it Geology? Is it Astrophysics? Is it Geophysics?

Please help!

As a geophysicist, you can work in private industry or government. There are a couple of different fields of Geophysics: Acquisition, Processing, and Interpretation. Acquisition, you would do fieldwork to collect data. Processing, you would process the data. In interpretation, you interpret the processed data. You can spend your whole career in either of these or be a hybrid Geophysicist and do all of the above.

Dalgate said:
Gamma ray bursts that cause events such as the 2004 tsunami.

well here's your first lesson: gamma ray bursts don't cause earthquakes, plate tectonics does

Dalgate said:
Things such as Gamma ray bursts that cause events such as the 2004 tsunami.

I'm really not sure where you got that idea, but..no. Gamma ray bursts are explosions of sorts from (hopefully is stays this way!) extremely distant stars. Tsunami's are the result of earthquakes (or a similar event) that has sufficient output energy to force the water in such a way so as to create the giant wave.

For geophysics, have a look at this:
http://www.prospects.ac.uk/p/types_of_job/print/geophysicist_field_seismologist.jsp

You could also speak with your school careers advisor, and finally: yes, lots of institutions in the UK offer geophysics degrees.

Last edited by a moderator:

rms344 said:
gamma ray bursts don't cause earthquakes
:smile:

Well, I wouldn't be surprised if there were few earthquakes if the Earth was hit by a GRB. If it were close enough to do that, though, it would fry every living thing on the planet...

Sankaku said:
:smile:

Well, I wouldn't be surprised if there were few earthquakes if the Earth was hit by a GRB. If it were close enough to do that, though, it would fry every living thing on the planet...

haha, yes, i suppose the better way of putting it is: let's hope BRGs don't cause earthquakes

Related to Reading up on what Geophysics is

1. What is geophysics?

Geophysics is the study of the physical properties and processes of the Earth and other planets. It combines elements of physics, mathematics, and geology to understand how the Earth works and how its structures and systems have evolved over time.

2. What are some common techniques used in geophysics?

Some common techniques used in geophysics include seismic imaging, gravity and magnetic surveys, electrical resistivity imaging, and remote sensing. These methods allow scientists to study the interior and surface of the Earth to better understand its composition, structure, and processes.

3. How is geophysics used in industry?

Geophysics has a wide range of applications in industry, including oil and gas exploration, mineral exploration, environmental studies, and engineering projects. Geophysical techniques can help locate and characterize natural resources, map potential hazards, and assess the stability of infrastructure.

4. What skills are necessary to work in geophysics?

To work in geophysics, one must have a strong background in mathematics, physics, and geology. Critical thinking, problem-solving, and data analysis skills are also important. Additionally, proficiency in computer programming and experience with geophysical software are often required for data processing and interpretation.

5. What are some current research topics in geophysics?

Some current research topics in geophysics include studying the Earth's climate change through geologic records, understanding the dynamics of plate tectonics and earthquakes, and exploring the possibilities of using geothermal energy as a renewable resource. Other areas of interest include planetary exploration and the search for extraterrestrial life.