Rot. + Trans. Motion: Conservation of E

In summary, the problem is to find the final velocity and energy of a system where a piece of clay of mass m collides with a uniform rod of mass M and length b, attached to a pivot at the top. The collision is inelastic, so energy is not conserved. The final energy can be calculated using the equation Efinal = Erotational + Etranslational, where the rotational energy is equal to 1/2 times the moment of inertia of the rod and the translational energy is equal to 1/2 times the mass of the clay times its initial velocity squared. The moment of inertia of the rod can be found using the parallel axis theorem, and the conservation of angular momentum can be used to calculate
sweetpete28
Suppose of uniform thin rod (mass M, length b) is attached to a pivot at the top. A piece of clay of mass m strikes the rod at distance x below the pivot at v0 perpendicular to the rod and sticks to it.

I understand the E is not conserved b/c this is an inelastic collision (clay sticks to rod). But would the fraction of E loss be during the collision?

I think:

Fraction of E loss = E final / E initial where E initial = 1/2mv0^2 but what would E final be?

Can someone please help with respect to the rod's rotational and translational E? What would it's moment of inertia be? Should I apply parallel axis theorem?

Physics news on Phys.org
So the problem is to find the final velocity of the system, and by that the final energy?
[itex]Eini = 1/2mv_0^2\\
Efinal = E_{rot} + E_{trans} = 1/2I\omega^2 [/itex]
So no translation(pivot).
The uniform rod has a moment of interia about its center of mass: [itex]I_{cm}=(M+m)b^2/12\\ I = I_{cm}+(M+m)r^2 = (M+m)(r^2+b^2\dfrac{1}{12})[/itex]
Now use the conservation of angular momentum just before collision and after, cause the sum of external torque is zero.

I don't think so...

The axis of rotation is at the end of the rod (where the pivot is) so I = 1/3(M+m)L^2 + mx^2 (m is point particle at distance x from axis of rotation).

1. What is rotational and translational motion?

Rotational motion is the movement of an object around a fixed axis, while translational motion is the movement of an object from one point to another in a straight line.

2. What is the conservation of energy in rotational and translational motion?

The conservation of energy in rotational and translational motion states that the total energy of a system remains constant, even as the object undergoes both rotational and translational motion. This means that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred between different forms.

3. How is angular momentum related to rotational motion?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's tendency to continue rotating. In rotational motion, angular momentum is conserved, meaning that it remains constant unless acted upon by an external force.

4. What is the significance of the moment of inertia in rotational motion?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It depends on the mass and distribution of the object's mass around its axis of rotation. Objects with a higher moment of inertia require more torque to achieve the same angular acceleration.

5. How do you calculate the kinetic energy of an object in rotational and translational motion?

The total kinetic energy of an object in rotational and translational motion is the sum of its rotational kinetic energy and its translational kinetic energy. To calculate the rotational kinetic energy, you use the formula K(rot) = (1/2)Iω^2, where I is the moment of inertia and ω is the angular velocity. To calculate the translational kinetic energy, you use the formula K(trans) = (1/2)mv^2, where m is the mass of the object and v is its linear velocity.