Conservation of angular momentum of a stick

In summary, a 30 g piece of clay is thrown at a 1.00 m long stick with a total mass of 270 g that is pivoted at its center and initially stationary. The clay sticks to the stick at a point halfway between the pivot and one end, with a velocity of 50 m/s. Using the conservation of angular momentum, it is found that the angular velocity of the stick after the collision is 15.38 rad/s. This assumes that the clay can be treated as a point mass.
234jazzy2

Homework Statement

A uniform stick 1.00 m long with a total mass of 270 g is pivoted at its center and is initially stationary. A 30 g piece of clay is thrown at the stick midway between the midpoint of the stick (pivot) and one end. The clay piece is going at 50 m/s and sticks to the stick. What is the angular velocity of the stick after the collision?

Homework Equations

Conservation of angular momentum.
Li = Lf

The Attempt at a Solution

I = moment of inertia for stick
ms = mass of stick
mb = mass of bullet
v = velocity of the bullet
r = distance between the pivot and where the bullet hit = 0.5 m
Iω(rod) + (mb)vr = Iωf(rod) + (mb)ωf
Iω(rod) = 0
ωf = ((mb)vr)/(I + (mb))
I = (1/12)(ms)r^2
ωf = 14.286 rad/s

I assumed the angular velocity is the same for the mass and the stick, since they are stuck together.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
234jazzy2 said:
A 30 g piece of clay is thrown at the stick midway between the midpoint of the stick (pivot) and one end.

You are correct in saying that the r value is the distance between the pivot and the point where the clay hits. However, the r value is not 0.5 meters here. The entire stick is 1.00 m, and the clay sticks at the point halfway from the pivot to the end. The pivot is in the middle.

234jazzy2 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

I = moment of inertia for stick
ms = mass of stick
mb = mass of bullet
v = velocity of the bullet
Iω(rod) = 0
ωf = ((mb)vr)/(I + (mb))
I = (1/12)(ms)r^2
ωf = 14.286 rad/s

Thanks.

Your conservation equation has an error. Corrected, it stands as: [itex] m_b v r = (I + m_b r^2)\omega_{f} [/itex]

The stick in the initial configuration has no angular momentum. All the angular momentum in the final configuration is contributed by the bullet.

[EDIT]: Also, how is r = 0.5 m. If the stick is pivoted about the centre and the origin of the coordinate system has been chosen to be this point, then r is midway between the pivot/origin and the end (r=0.25 m)

mattbeatlefreak said:
You are correct in saying that the r value is the distance between the pivot and the point where the clay hits. However, the r value is not 0.5 meters here. The entire stick is 1.00 m, and the clay sticks at the point halfway from the pivot to the end. The pivot is in the middle.
So,
ωf = ((mb)vr1)/(I + (mb)) , where r1 = 0.25 m (half of the half...)
I = (1/12)(ms)r^2 (r = 0.5 m (half of the stick)
ωf = 10.526 rad/s

soviet1100 said:
Your conservation equation has an error. Corrected, it stands as: [itex] m_b v r = (I + m_b r^2)\omega_{f} [/itex]

The stick in the initial configuration has no angular momentum. All the angular momentum in the final configuration is contributed by the bullet.

EDIT: NVM read it wrong

How did you get [itex] m_b r^2 [/itex]?

234jazzy2 said:
EDIT: NVM read it wrong

How did you get [itex] m_b r^2 [/itex]?

The angular momentum of an object is Iω. I is the moment of inertia. The moment of inertia of a point mass is mr2.

Likes soviet1100
234jazzy2 said:
Yea, in the line below i stated that Iω(rod) = 0. I just right it so i have all the objects in the system and then set things to zero.

In your initial post, you wrote :

234jazzy2 said:

The second term on the right side of this equation is incorrect. It should be [itex] m_b \omega_f r^2 [/itex]. Remember, angular momentum has dimensions M L^2 T^(-1).

mattbeatlefreak said:
The angular momentum of an object is Iω. I is the moment of inertia. The moment of inertia of a point mass is mr2.

Oh ok, I didn't think you could assume that clay is a point mass. If you do that, the angular velocity if 50 rad/s... Is that correct?

234jazzy2 said:
Oh ok, I didn't think you could assume that clay is a point mass. If you do that, the angular velocity if 50 rad/s... Is that correct?
This is not the value I am finding for the final angular momentum.
Make sure to use mbvr=(I+mbr2f and to use I as the moment of inertia of the rod, which you previously said, was (1/12)mrL2.
Also make sure to use all lengths in meters and masses in kilograms so you get the correct final units.

edit: the assumption that the clay is a point mass is a common occurrence in these types of problems. If a bullet or "piece" of clay is hitting something and the problem doesn't give you a value for its moment of inertia, it is usually safe to assume that they want you to treat it as a point mass.

mattbeatlefreak said:
This is not the value I am finding for the final angular momentum.
Make sure to use mbvr=(I+mbr2f and to use I as the moment of inertia of the rod, which you previously said, was (1/12)mrL2.
Also make sure to use all lengths in meters and masses in kilograms so you get the correct final units.

edit: the assumption that the clay is a point mass is a common occurrence in these types of problems. If a bullet or "piece" of clay is hitting something and the problem doesn't give you a value for its moment of inertia, it is usually safe to assume that they want you to treat it as a point mass.
Is it 15.38 rad/s?

234jazzy2 said:
Is it 15.38 rad/s?
That's what I get:thumbup:

mattbeatlefreak said:
That's what I get:thumbup:
Thanks.

What is conservation of angular momentum of a stick?

Conservation of angular momentum of a stick refers to the principle that states angular momentum remains constant unless acted upon by an external torque. This means that, in the absence of external forces, the angular momentum of a stick will remain the same.

What factors affect the conservation of angular momentum of a stick?

The conservation of angular momentum of a stick is affected by its mass, length, and rotational speed. The distribution of mass along the stick also plays a role in determining its angular momentum.

How is the conservation of angular momentum of a stick demonstrated in real life?

A common example of conservation of angular momentum of a stick can be seen in figure skating. When a figure skater performs a spin, they bring their arms in closer to their body, decreasing their moment of inertia and causing them to spin faster due to the conservation of angular momentum.

What happens if an external torque is applied to a spinning stick?

If an external torque is applied to a spinning stick, the conservation of angular momentum principle states that the stick will experience a change in its angular velocity. This can result in the stick changing its direction of rotation or slowing down/speeding up.

How is the conservation of angular momentum of a stick related to Newton's first law?

Newton's first law states that an object will remain at rest or in motion with constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. In the case of a spinning stick, the conservation of angular momentum principle acts as the "external force" that keeps the stick in motion with a constant angular velocity.