Rare medical conditions on 20/20 tonight

In summary, 20/20 tonight will be featuring case studies of rare medical conditions such as misophonia, pica, gelastic seizures, and a parasitic bacterial infection. Many people are interested in watching this, particularly the segment on gelastic seizures which unfortunately got cut due to commercial time constraints. Some viewers find these types of shows entertaining, while others, such as the person's wife, are fascinated by them. Misophonia was the most intriguing condition discussed, with one person even experiencing extreme irritation towards their ex-husband's breathing, although it may not have been classified as misophonia in their case.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Tonight on 20/20 10PM EST/9PM CST.

Case studies of rare medical conditions, including misophonia, a hatred of ordinary sounds; pica, a craving for inedible objects; gelastic seizures, which cause uncontrollable giggling; and a parasitic bacterial infection that causes strange behaviors.
I know some people would like to watch this.

Biology news on Phys.org
Evo said:
Tonight on 20/20 10PM EST/9PM CST.

I know some people would like to watch this.
I would like to have seen something on gelastic seizures. Where the hell were the gelastic seizures?

zoobyshoe said:
I would like to have seen something on gelastic seizures. Where the hell were the gelastic seizures?
Apparently that got cut so they could fit in the commercials. They could have cut a lot of the "personal victory" part of alopecia and a lot of the pica to fit it in.

I can't help but laugh at shows like this, but my wife just eats them up.

Jimmy Snyder said:
I can't help but laugh at shows like this, but my wife just eats them up.
Misophenia was really interesting, I didn't realize how severe it could be. I remember with my ex husband it got to the point that even his breathing irritated me, but I don't think it was due to misophenia.

Evo said:
I remember with my ex husband it got to the point that even his breathing irritated me, but I don't think it was due to misophenia.
Perhaps not. Were you able to stand the sight of him?

1. What are rare medical conditions?

Rare medical conditions are diseases or disorders that affect a small percentage of the population. They are often difficult to diagnose and treat due to their uncommon nature, and can have a variety of causes.

2. What types of rare medical conditions will be featured on 20/20 tonight?

The specific rare medical conditions featured on 20/20 tonight may vary, but they could include diseases such as rare genetic disorders, autoimmune diseases, or rare cancers.

3. How are rare medical conditions diagnosed?

Rare medical conditions can be diagnosed through a combination of medical history, physical exams, and specialized tests and imaging. Genetic testing may also be used in some cases.

4. Is there treatment available for rare medical conditions?

Treatment for rare medical conditions will depend on the specific condition and its underlying cause. In some cases, there may be no known cure or treatment, while others may have specialized medications or therapies available.

5. How can I support individuals with rare medical conditions?

There are various ways to support individuals with rare medical conditions, such as raising awareness, participating in fundraising events, and advocating for research and treatments. You can also offer emotional support to those affected and their families.

Back