Gravitational Lensing: Why Does it Only Create Clones?

In summary, Gravitational Lensing can create a ring, known as an Einstein ring, when the lens, source, and observer are perfectly aligned and spherically symmetric. However, this is rarely the case in nature due to asymmetry, intervening matter, and imperfect alignment, resulting in the more commonly observed multi-image behavior.
BerryBoy
I was wondering...

Why doesn't Gravitational Lensing ever create a ring when bending light from an obstructed star? It seems to always create 2,3 or 4 clones of the star.

I can't get my head around this, maybe I'm missing something fundamental?

Your posts are appriciated.

Regards,
Sam

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Yes, it's called an Einstein ring. Here is one of the better examples:
http://www.eso.org/outreach/press-rel/pr-2005/phot-20-05.html
There are a number of reasons 'pharmaceutical grade' examples of this phenomenon are virtually unknown.

Last edited by a moderator:
BerryBoy said:
I was wondering...
Why doesn't Gravitational Lensing ever create a ring when bending light from an obstructed star?

The pure ring solution only arises when the lens is situated on a line exacty between a spherically symmetric source and the observer. In general, you'll get more complex behavior.

Gravitational lensing can be thought of in terms of Fermat's Principle (see http://adsabs.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/n...pe=HTML&format=&high=4349a261f103762"), in which the light traverses paths that are extrema in time. If the source, lens, and observer are all perfectly lined up (and all are symmetric about this line), it stands to reason that there will be multiple extremal paths -- in fact, a ring of them. The symmetry demands that any particular path will have identical counterparts at all angles about the central line (each with the same distance from the line). Thus, if one path is an extremal, then all of its counterparts will be as well.

However, if you disturb this symmetry, then the redundancy of the extremal paths drops significantly. This is when you get the multi-image behavior that we often observe in nature. Not only are the lenses and sources we typically observe not spherically symmetric, but we never see them in such perfect alignment. Nevertheless, with near-alignment and extended sources, you can still get ring-like objects. A google image search brings up some really nice examples:

http://images.google.com/images?q=e...a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&sa=N&tab=wi"

Some of these may be simulations, so be sure to check the links if you're curious about a particular object.

Last edited by a moderator:
Danger said:
I'm pretty sure that the top left one on the first page is a simulation.

The one in the top left is a drawing. :tongue2:

:redface: .

A perfect alignment between an object and its gravitational lensing partner is not the reason a perfect lensing event is virtually impossible. There will always be intervening matter that distorts the image.

Chronos said:
A perfect alignment between an object and its gravitational lensing partner is not the reason a perfect lensing event is virtually impossible. There will always be intervening matter that distorts the image.

Chronos, asymmetric lenses and sources, intervening material, and imperfect alignments are all valid reasons for why we don't see perfect Einstein rings.

Dang, ST, I thought that was what I just said...

Dear diary, ST will flunk me if I take his class...

Chronos said:
Dear diary, ST will flunk me if I take his class...

You're a strange fellow, Chronos. Never change. :smile:

He doesn't. That's why his laundry costs are nonexistent. :bugeye:

You guys are tough on me. I only have a BS and like to argue.

That's not quite like me, but close. I have a BS in arguing, in that most of my arguments are BS. :biggrin:

1. What is gravitational lensing?

Gravitational lensing is a phenomenon in which the gravity of a massive object, such as a galaxy or cluster of galaxies, bends and distorts the path of light from a more distant object behind it. This can create magnified or distorted images of the background object, giving the appearance of multiple or distorted images.

2. How does gravitational lensing create clones?

Gravitational lensing creates clones by bending and magnifying light from a background object, creating multiple images of the same object. This occurs when the light from the background object passes through the gravitational field of a massive object, such as a galaxy or cluster of galaxies, on its way to the observer.

3. Why does gravitational lensing only create clones?

Gravitational lensing only creates clones because the gravitational field of the massive object causing the lensing effect is symmetrical. This means that the light passing through the field is bent in the same way in all directions, resulting in multiple images of the background object appearing in the same locations.

4. Can gravitational lensing create more than just clones?

Yes, in addition to creating clones, gravitational lensing can also produce other effects such as magnification, distortion, and amplification. These effects depend on the strength and distribution of the gravitational field and the alignment of the background and lensing objects.

5. How does gravitational lensing help us understand the universe?

Gravitational lensing provides a unique way to study and measure the distribution of mass in the universe, including dark matter. It also allows us to observe and study very distant and faint objects that would otherwise be too difficult to detect. By analyzing the distortions and magnifications caused by gravitational lensing, scientists can learn more about the structure and evolution of the universe.