Does Water Always Drain in the Same Direction?

In summary, the direction in which water goes down the plug hole is not always the same due to various factors such as the direction the water entered the sink and the shape of the sink. There is a common misconception that the rotation of the Earth's hemispheres plays a role in the direction of water flow, but this is not entirely true. The Coriolis effect does have an influence, but it is very small and is only noticeable in large bodies of water. The main factor affecting the direction of water flow in a sink or bathtub is the shape and design of the vessel.
billiards
Hi, I just wanted to see some of your thoughts on this rather common physics question.

Does the water always go down the plug hole in the same direction?
Let the water be perfectly still before the plug is released.

Feel free to elaborate, cheers.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
No, the water does not always go down the plug hole in the same direction. There are many factors which affect this, the main two being the direction the water entered the sink, and the shape and design of the sink.

Do you have any thoughts on the question?

Okay, let me just clarify that I wanted the water to be still before the plug was released... I'll let others jump in before I give you my thoughts.

I remember being told as a youger boy that water turns according to which hemisphere of the Earth it is on... was pissed when I found out it wasn't true :)

Last edited:
If The Simpsons has any scientific credibility (& the UK's 'teach physics' advertisements) then water does turn according to which hemisphere you're in. Then again it might not matter, they could well be wrong.

How about some elaboration, why?

I know you're smart people, prove it.

What causes water to spin down the plug hole?

The spinning motion of water down a plug hole is caused by a phenomenon known as the Coriolis Effect. This is the result of the Earth's rotation and the shape of its surface, which causes objects moving on its surface to appear to deviate from a straight path.

Does the direction of the water spinning depend on the hemisphere?

Contrary to popular belief, the direction of water spinning down a plug hole is not affected by the hemisphere. The Coriolis Effect has a negligible impact on small-scale motions like water draining from a sink or bathtub.

Can the Coriolis Effect be seen in other ways besides water spinning down a plug hole?

Yes, the Coriolis Effect can be observed in other phenomena, such as the rotation of hurricanes and the path of ocean currents. However, these are on a much larger scale and therefore have a more noticeable impact.

Does the size and shape of the sink or bathtub affect the direction of water spinning?

No, the size and shape of the sink or bathtub do not have a significant impact on the direction of water spinning. The main factor is the initial motion or turbulence of the water before it starts draining.

Is it possible to reverse the direction of water spinning down a plug hole?

Technically, yes, it is possible to reverse the direction of water spinning down a plug hole. However, this would require a highly controlled environment and precise conditions, making it difficult to achieve in a regular household setting.