Solve Infinite Summations w/o Pi: Tips & Tricks

• Thread starter mathg33k
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Infinite
In summary, the conversation discusses finding ways to solve infinite summations, particularly those that do not result in an answer with pi. The speaker mentions trying to find the sum of a geometric sequence but realizes it does not work for most summations. Another participant suggests using the geometric series formula and differentiating it to solve the problem. The conversation ends with the speaker acknowledging their lack of experience in this area and introducing themselves as a new member of the forum.
mathg33k
Looking for ways to solve infinite summations, I found an ancient topic here talking about solving infinite summations that come out to answers with pi.
How would I solve an infinite summation that does not come out to an answer with pi?

Such as:
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{n+1}{6^n} [/tex]

The solution is 11/25, btw.
My attempt: I am not really experienced with this area of math, so what I did was put it into my TI-nSpire but it couldn't do it because it's not the CAS version. I plugged in a large number such as 999 terms instead of infinity terms and it came out to the right answer, but I am looking for a more "correct" way to solve the problem. I also thought of finding the sum of a geometric sequence but I realized that doesn't really work for most summations.

Oh, I'm also new to these forums, so hi to everybody! =D

EDIT: The n under the summation should say n=1

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Many of these problems can be solved by recognizing that your series is actually a special case of a more general one.

One of the more useful series is the geometric series: If |x|<1,
[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} x^n = \frac{1}{1-x}.[/tex]

It's not immediately obvious how we can use this to evaluate your series. However, there's a nice trick: Differentiate both sides of the above equation term by term to get (for |x| < 1):
[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} n x^{n-1} = \frac{1}{(1-x)^2}.[/tex]

Can you take it from here?

Likes 1 person

FAQ: Solve Infinite Summations w/o Pi: Tips & Tricks

1. How do you solve infinite summations without using pi?

There are several methods for solving infinite summations without using pi, including using geometric series, telescoping series, and power series. One common method is to use the ratio test to determine the convergence or divergence of the series, and then use other methods such as the integral test or comparison test to find the sum.

2. What are some tips for solving infinite summations without pi?

Some tips for solving infinite summations without pi include understanding the properties of different types of series, such as geometric and telescoping series, and knowing when to use each method. It's also important to carefully check for convergence or divergence before attempting to find the sum.

3. Can you explain the concept of telescoping series in solving infinite summations without pi?

A telescoping series is a type of series where most of the terms in the sum cancel each other out, leaving only a finite number of terms. This makes it easier to find the sum without using pi, as you can simply add up the remaining terms. To identify a telescoping series, look for a pattern of canceling terms in the expression.

4. How do you use the ratio test to solve infinite summations without pi?

The ratio test is a method for determining the convergence or divergence of a series by taking the limit of the absolute value of the ratio of consecutive terms. If the limit is less than 1, the series converges, and if it is greater than 1, the series diverges. This can be helpful in determining the sum of an infinite series without using pi.

5. Are there any tricks for solving complicated infinite summations without pi?

One trick for solving complicated infinite summations without pi is to rewrite the series in a different form that is easier to work with. This could involve factoring, using partial fractions, or manipulating the terms in other ways. It's also helpful to practice and become familiar with various methods for finding the sum of infinite series, as this can make the process more efficient and less daunting.

Back