Simplification step: solving a diff eqn using a power series

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in solving a differential equation using power series. The question raised is about the last term in the solution and the discrepancy between the textbook and the calculated solution. The solution is in the book as an example problem and the problematic term involves dividing through by x^2. The conversation also includes a suggestion to switch to plain LaTeX for easier typing.
Sparky_

Homework Statement

Hello,

I suspect this is an easy answer but I am not seeing it. I am reviewing (more so for fun / hobby) some differential equations – I’m not in school.

I’m needing help with an example problem in Differential Equations With Boundary-Value Problems Zill 2nd edition. In googling around for a possible errata, I see it’s also in other editions – not an error – it’s me.

It’s Chapter 6, section 2, example7, of the 2nd edition (my book from way back) and Chapter 6, section 1, example 4 of the 7th edition.

The problem is to solve by way of a power series:

(x2 - 1 ) y'' + x y - y = 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(again) - the solution is in the book - it's an example problem

y = ∑cnxn
y' = ∑ (n) cnxn-1
y'' = ∑ (n) (n-2) cnxn-2

(x2 +1 ) ∑(n)(n-1)cnxn-2 + (x)∑(n)cnxn-1 - ∑cnxn
Divided through by x2 (after cross multiplying the x2 + 1)

the first summation the x2's cancel, the second summation (the term that results from multiplying by the "1" will subtract the "2" exponent in the xn-2 term, the third summation leaves an x in the denominator and as a result will subtract a "1" in the exponent of xn-1= ∑ (n)(n-1) cn xn + ∑ (n)(n-1)cn xn-2 + ∑(n)cn xnnow for my question - the forth summation - the "-y" term in the original equation

dividing through by x2 - it looks like the last summation should be ∑cn x-2

the book has ∑cn xn for the last term - as if it was not divided by the x2 term

??
what am I missing, regarding the last term ( the lone y term) after dividing through by x2?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sparky_ said:

Homework Statement

Hello,

I suspect this is an easy answer but I am not seeing it. I am reviewing (more so for fun / hobby) some differential equations – I’m not in school.

I’m needing help with an example problem in Differential Equations With Boundary-Value Problems Zill 2nd edition. In googling around for a possible errata, I see it’s also in other editions – not an error – it’s me.

It’s Chapter 6, section 2, example7, of the 2nd edition (my book from way back) and Chapter 6, section 1, example 4 of the 7th edition.

The problem is to solve by way of a power series:

(x2 - 1 ) y'' + x y - y = 0
[/B]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(again) - the solution is in the book - it's an example problem

y = ∑cnxn
y' = ∑ (n) cnxn-1
y'' = ∑ (n) (n-2) cnxn-2

the first summation the x2's cancel, the second summation (the term that results from multiplying by the "1" will subtract the "2" exponent in the xn-2 term, the third summation leaves an x in the denominator and as a result will subtract a "1" in the exponent of xn-1= ∑ (n)(n-1) cn xn + ∑ (n)(n-1)cn xn-2 + ∑(n)cn xn

now for my question - the forth summation - the "-y" term in the original equation

dividing through by x2 - it looks like the last summation should be ∑cn x-2

the book has ∑cn xn for the last term - as if it was not divided by the x2 term

??
what am I missing, regarding the last term ( the lone y term) after dividing through by x2?

Thanks

[/B]
Please turn off the bold font: it is distracting.

You wrote an ##x^2-1## coefficient in the original DE but an ##x^2+1## coefficient in the series. Which one should it be?

Also: life would be much simpler for you if you switched from typing with "SUB" and "SUP" constructs to plain LaTeX. For example, it is a lot easier to type x^2 or c_n than x[ S U P]2[/ S U P] or c[S U B] n [/S U B] (where I have inserted spaces to prevent the parser from making an actual superscript or subscript). However, LaTex constructs must appear between ## to start and end; that is, we would type # # x^2 # # (again, with spaces inserted to prevent the parser from actually implementing LaTeX on the expression).

Ray Vickson said:

You wrote an ##x^2-1## coefficient in the original DE but an ##x^2+1## coefficient in the series. Which one should it be?

Also: life would be much simpler for you if you switched from typing with "SUB" and "SUP" constructs to plain LaTeX. For example, it is a lot easier to type x^2 or c_n than x[ S U P]2[/ S U P] or c[S U B] n [/S U B] (where I have inserted spaces to prevent the parser from making an actual superscript or subscript). However, LaTex constructs must appear between ## to start and end; that is, we would type # # x^2 # # (again, with spaces inserted to prevent the parser from actually implementing LaTeX on the expression).

it's (x^2 + 1), regarding the other - i was using the menu at the top of the window for sub and super script, I have no idea how the bold was turned on

Ray Vickson said:
I undid the bold font style in the OP.

Sparky_ said:
I have no idea how the bold was turned on
It's as a result of typing immediately after the bolded headings. I'll look into getting that fixed, since this is probably that occurs often.

Sparky_ said:
it's (x^2 + 1), regarding the other - i was using the menu at the top of the window for sub and super script, I have no idea how the bold was turned on

I think it happens if you type your results inside the "[B O L D] ... [/ B O L D ]" pair embodied in the PF headings. If you just type outside that environment, you will get a standard font. However, you can still make some of your inputs bold for the sake of emphasis.

Anyway, your method of trying to divide by ##x## and/or ##x^2## is something you should absolutely NEVER do: it is a fatal error. Why? Well, you are looking for a series solution near ##x = 0##, so dividing by ##x## is a violation. Anyway, it is not necessary.

Here is how I used to do it back in the Stone Age when I was taking this material. I always found it useful to write out explicitly the first 3 or 4 terms before switching to summation notation. So, if ##y = c_0+ c_1 x + c_2 x^2 + c_3 x^3 + \cdots,## we have
$$
\begin{array}{rcl}
y'&=&c_1 + 2 c_2 x + 3 c_3 x^2 + \cdots , \; \text{hence}\\
x y'&=& c_1 x + 2 c_2 x^2 + 3 c_3 x^3 + \cdots = c_1 x + \sum_{n=2}^{\infty} n c_n x^n \\
y''&=& 2 \cdot 1 c_2 + 3 \cdot 2 c_3 x + 4 \cdot 3 c_4 x^2 + \cdots = 2 c_2 + 6 c_3 x + \sum_{n=2}^{\infty} (n+2)(n+1) c_{n+2} x^n \\
x^2 y'' &=& 2 \cdot 1 c_2 x^2 + 3 \cdot 2 c_3 x^3 + \cdots = \sum_{n=2}^{\infty} n(n-1) c_n x^n
\end{array}
$$
Thus, the left-hand-side of the DE is
$$-c_0+ 2 c_2 +(c_1 - c_1+6 c_3) x + \sum_{n=2}^{\infty} [n(n-1)c_n - c_n + n c_n+(n+2)(n+1) c_{n+2} ] x^n$$
This is supposed to vanish for all ##x##, so it give you some relationships between the coefficients ##c_j##.

Last edited:
Sparky_ said:
I'm not sure what you mean by "cross multiplying" in this context, and as far as I can tell, you didn't divide through by ##x^2##. What's happening with the y'' term is the following:

\begin{align*}
(x^2+1)\sum n(n-1)c_nx^{n-2} &= \sum n(n-1)c_n(x^2+1)x^{n-2} \\
&= \sum n(n-1)c_n(x^n+x^{n-2}) \\
&= \sum n(n-1)c_n x^n + \sum n(n-1)c_n x^{n-2}
\end{align*}
Same idea with the y' term. There's no coefficient in front of the y term, however, so the summation remains unchanged.

Ray Vickson said:
I think it happens if you type your results inside the "[B O L D] ... [/ B O L D ]" pair embodied in the PF headings. If you just type outside that environment, you will get a standard font. However, you can still make some of your inputs bold for the sake of emphasis.

Anyway, your method of trying to divide by ##x## and/or ##x^2## is something you should absolutely NEVER do: it is a fatal error. Why? Well, you are looking for a series solution near ##x = 0##, so dividing by ##x## is a violation. Anyway, it is not necessary.

Here is how I used to do it back in the Stone Age when I was taking this material. I always found it useful to write out explicitly the first 3 or 4 terms before switching to summation notation. So, if ##y = c_0+ c_1 x + c_2 x^2 + c_3 x^3 + \cdots,## we have
$$
\begin{array}{rcl}
y'&=&c_1 + 2 c_2 x + 3 c_3 x^2 + \cdots , \; \text{hence}\\
x y'&=& c_1 x + 2 c_2 x^2 + 3 c_3 x^3 + \cdots = c_1 x + \sum_{n=2}^{\infty} n c_n x^n \\
y''&=& 2 \cdot 1 c_2 + 3 \cdot 2 c_3 x + 4 \cdot 3 c_4 x^2 + \cdots = 2 c_2 + 6 c_3 x + \sum_{n=2}^{\infty} (n+2)(n+1) c_{n+2} x^n \\
x^2 y'' &=& 2 \cdot 1 c_2 x^2 + 3 \cdot 2 c_3 x^3 + \cdots = \sum_{n=2}^{\infty} n(n-1) c_n x^n
\end{array}
$$
Thus, the left-hand-side of the DE is
$$-c_0+ 2 c_2 +(c_1 - c_1+6 c_3) x + \sum_{n=2}^{\infty} [n(n-1)c_n - c_n + n c_n+(n+2)(n+1) c_{n+2} ] x^n$$
This is supposed to vanish for all ##x##, so it give you some relationships between the coefficients ##c_j##.

Thank you - i repeated your suggestion and things worked out. I still believe I can get there (minus avoiding x = 0 in the denominator) with my original path but I'm not going to dwell on it.

Thank you so much!

vela said:
I'm not sure what you mean by "cross multiplying" in this context, and as far as I can tell, you didn't divide through by ##x^2##. What's happening with the y'' term is the following:

\begin{align*}
(x^2+1)\sum n(n-1)c_nx^{n-2} &= \sum n(n-1)c_n(x^2+1)x^{n-2} \\
&= \sum n(n-1)c_n(x^n+x^{n-2}) \\
&= \sum n(n-1)c_n x^n + \sum n(n-1)c_n x^{n-2}
\end{align*}
Same idea with the y' term. There's no coefficient in front of the y term, however, so the summation remains unchanged.

what I meant by cross multiplying is, I multiplied first the x^2 term and then the "1" ending with an x^2 in front of a summation and also just the summation (the 1 times the summation)

Sparky_ said:
what I meant by cross multiplying is, I multiplied first the x^2 term and then the "1" ending with an x^2 in front of a summation and also just the summation (the 1 times the summation)

Right: that is exactly what you end up with. Then you need to change the index of summation so that aside from the first few terms (which do not fit exactly) the remaining terms all involve terms in the same ##x^n##. To keep things straight, I recommend against compressing everything into the smallest-looking formulas, but rather, do what I did: write the first few terms one-by-one and then put summation signs on the rest. That is how it was done in all the books on DEs that I have ever owned.

Ray Vickson said:
Right: that is exactly what you end up with. Then you need to change the index of summation so that aside from the first few terms (which do not fit exactly) the remaining terms all involve terms in the same ##x^n##. To keep things straight, I recommend against compressing everything into the smallest-looking formulas, but rather, do what I did: write the first few terms one-by-one and then put summation signs on the rest. That is how it was done in all the books on DEs that I have ever owned.
Thank you (again) !

( I had the first 3 terms but did something stupid on the last one ) when I read your post and repeated things - it worked (agreed)

1. What is a power series?

A power series is an infinite series of the form ∑n=0^∞ anxn, where an are constants and x is a variable. It is used to represent a function as a sum of powers of x, and can be used to approximate solutions to differential equations.

2. Why is the power series method used to solve differential equations?

The power series method is used to solve differential equations because it allows for a systematic and efficient approach to finding solutions. It also allows for the possibility of finding exact solutions, rather than just approximations.

3. What is the general process for solving a differential equation using a power series?

The general process for solving a differential equation using a power series involves substituting the power series into the differential equation, equating coefficients of like powers of x, and then solving for the coefficients. This results in a recursive relationship between the coefficients, which can then be used to find the solution.

4. What are some common applications of the power series method in science?

The power series method has many applications in science, including solving physical problems such as the motion of a pendulum or the behavior of a vibrating string. It is also used in fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering to model natural phenomena and solve differential equations that arise in various contexts.

5. Are there any limitations to using the power series method for solving differential equations?

Yes, there are some limitations to using the power series method. It may not always be possible to find a suitable power series representation for a given function, and the method may not work for all types of differential equations. Additionally, the convergence of the series may be an issue, as it may only converge within a certain range of values for the variable x.