Finding the Number of Terms Needed to Approximate an Infinite Sum within 1/100

• Thread starter member 508213
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the problem is asking to approximate the sum of an alternating series within 1/100 of its infinite value. The series is given as 1/2 - (1*3)/(2*4) + (1*3*5)/(2*4*6) and so on. To find the number of terms needed, the goal is to find the first term that is equal to or less than 1/100. One approach is to use the general term of the series and solve for n, but it may be more efficient to calculate the terms using a formula and stop when the term is less than 1/100. This also reveals the slow convergence of the series.
member 508213

Homework Statement

The problem says approximate the sum to within 1/100 of the value of the infinite sum, and the sum is
1/2-(1x3)/(2x4)+(1x3x5)/(2x4x6) and so on... (Teacher said I can leave answer in summation notation so I just need to find how many terms I need to add together.)

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

Since it is an alternating series, I would just need to find the first term that is equal to or less than 1/100 to know how many of the terms I need to add together and the terms are (1x3x...x(2n+1))/(2x4x...(2n+2)). However, I cannot think of any way at all to find when one of these individual terms is equal to or less than 1/100.

My goal right now is finding the first term that will equal 1/100 basically... but I do not see any way this is possible. If there is a way I can find it please help me; if I should be going a completely different way to solve this problem please let me know. I've been thinking about this problem for a few hours and just cannot come up with anyway of finding the answer. Thanks for any help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Austin said:

Homework Statement

The problem says approximate the sum to within 1/100 of the value of the infinite sum, and the sum is
1/2-(1x3)/(2x4)+(1x3x5)/(2x4x6) and so on... (Teacher said I can leave answer in summation notation so I just need to find how many terms I need to add together.)

Homework Equations

n/a

Since it is an alternating series, I would just need to find the first term that is equal to or less than 1/100 to know how many of the terms I need to add together and the terms are (1x3x...x(2n+1))/(2x4x...(2n+2)). However, I cannot think of any way at all to find when one of these individual terms is equal to or less than 1/100.

My goal right now is finding the first term that will equal 1/100 basically... but I do not see any way this is possible. If there is a way I can find it please help me; if I should be going a completely different way to solve this problem please let me know. I've been thinking about this problem for a few hours and just cannot come up with anyway of finding the answer. Thanks for any help!
Can you write the general term of the series? If so, use it to figure out what n needs to be so that the general term is < .01.

If you write ##(2*4*6*\dots) = 2(1*2*3*\dots)## Is there any terms that cancel each other?

@Mark44 The General Term of the series would just be (-1)^n(1x3x...x(2n+1))/(2x4x...x(2n+2)!) but I can't really use this algebraically to find the value for n

Austin said:
@Mark44 The General Term of the series would just be (-1)^n(1x3x...x(2n+1))/(2x4x...x(2n+2)!) but I can't really use this algebraically to find the value for n
No, that's not what it is. You shouldn't have that factorial in there. ##2 \cdot 4 \cdot 6 \dots \cdot (2n + 2) = 2(n + 1)!##. Maybe that's what you were shooting for.

Anyway, write your inequality (can omit the ##(-1)^n##) and solve. Typically the way to solve inequalities like this one is to try a few values of n to see when you get a true statement.

@Mark44 I just accidently put in the ! I didn't mean to

Mark44 said:
No, that's not what it is. You shouldn't have that factorial in there. ##2 \cdot 4 \cdot 6 \dots \cdot (2n + 2) = 2(n + 1)!##. Maybe that's what you were shooting for.

Anyway, write your inequality (can omit the ##(-1)^n##) and solve. Typically the way to solve inequalities like this one is to try a few values of n to see when you get a true statement.
Also... 2*4*6*8 doesn't equal 2(n+1)! it would equal 2^n(n+1)!

Austin said:
Also... 2*4*6*8 doesn't equal 2(n+1)! it would equal 2^n(n+1)!
Yes, my mistake -- you are right, almost. 2⋅4⋅6⋯⋅(2n+2)=2n + 1(n+1)!

Mark44 said:
Yes, my mistake -- you are right, almost. 2⋅4⋅6⋯⋅(2n+2)=2n + 1(n+1)!
but I can rewrite 2x4x6x...(2n+1) as 2^n(n!) but rewriting 1x3x5... seems a little more difficult

Austin said:
but I can rewrite 2x4x6x...(2n+1) as 2^n(n!) but rewriting 1x3x5... seems a little more difficult
should probably be 2^(n+1)(n+1)! for 2x4x6... my mistake

Austin said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

n/a

Computationally, it might be easiest to not try to get a general formula and then figure out the value of ##n## from that. It might be more straightforward to write the series as
[tex] S = t_1 - t_2 + t_3 - \cdots [/tex]
where
[tex] t_1 = \frac{1}{2}\; \; \text{and}\; \; t_n = \frac{2n-1}{2n} t_{n-1}, \; n \geq 2 [/tex]
You can just keep calculating the ##t_n## until ##t_n < 0.01## (for example, in a spreadsheet). Doing that is also useful in revealing just how slowly the series converges, and how many terms you need to keep to have any kind of decent accuracy. For example, 1000 terms are not nearly enough to give you ##t_n < 0.01##.

However, if you really want a formula for ##t_n## you can apply the result
[tex] 2 \times 4 \times 6 \times \cdots \times 2k = 2^k k! [/tex]
to the formula
[tex] t_n = \frac{1 \times 3 \times \cdots \times 2n-1}{2 \times 4 \times \cdots \times 2n}
= \frac{(2n-1)!}{(2 \times 4 \times \cdots \times (2n-2) )(2 \times 4 \times \cdots \times 2n)} [/tex]
This will give you a formula involving factorials and powers of 2 only.

Last edited:

1. What is a "Difficult Series Question"?

A "Difficult Series Question" is a type of question that is designed to challenge individuals and test their knowledge, critical thinking skills, and problem-solving abilities. These questions often require a deep understanding of a particular subject and may have multiple steps or layers of complexity.

2. How can I approach a "Difficult Series Question"?

To approach a "Difficult Series Question," it is important to carefully read and understand the question and any given information. It can also be helpful to break the question down into smaller parts and tackle them one at a time. Additionally, using critical thinking skills and any relevant knowledge can assist in finding a solution.

3. What subjects do "Difficult Series Questions" typically cover?

"Difficult Series Questions" can cover a wide range of subjects, including math, science, history, literature, and more. They can also be interdisciplinary, combining multiple subjects in one question.

4. How can "Difficult Series Questions" benefit me as a scientist?

"Difficult Series Questions" can help you develop and improve your critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and overall knowledge in various subjects. They can also prepare you for challenging tasks and experiments in your scientific research.

5. Are there any tips for solving "Difficult Series Questions"?

Some tips for solving "Difficult Series Questions" include reading the question carefully, breaking it down into smaller parts, using relevant knowledge and critical thinking skills, and checking your work for accuracy. It can also be beneficial to practice solving similar types of questions to improve your skills.