Determinant of linear transformations

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the determinant of a linear transformation in the plane V. The person has found the basis vectors and performed the transformation, but their matrix representation is incorrect. They need to express the transformed vectors as linear combinations of the basis vectors to correctly determine the matrix representation and calculate the determinant.
succubus
I thought this problem was pretty straightforward, but I can't seem to match the answers in the back of the book.

The problem is: Find the determinant of the following linear transformation.

T(v) = <1, 2, 3> x v (where the x means cross product)

from the plane V given by x + 2y + 3z = 0

So I find the basis vectors

<-2, 1, 0> and <-3, 0, 1>

And I perform the transformation by

T( <-2, 1, 0>) = <-3, 6, 5>
T(<-3, 0, 1>) = < 2, 8, 6>

And so I get the 2 column vectors to be

| -3 2 |
| 6 8 |
| 5 6 |

I know this is so off, but what am I doing wrong exactly?

I can get the others but this one is giving me fits and I know it has to be so simple...

Physics news on Phys.org
Let u = <-2, 1, 0> and w = <-3, 0, 1>

I haven't checked your calculations, so I'm assuming they're correct.

The matrix representation you have for T is incorrect. First, you need to order your basis. Your basis will either be {u,w} or {w,u}. Let's say you choose the first ordered basis.

What you did was say that T(u) = < -3, 6, 5> and so <-3, 6, 5> will be a column vector in the matrix. This is incorrect. You have to express <-3, 6, 5> as a linear combination of the basis vectors. So, T(u) = <-3, 6, 5> = a*u + b*w, where a and b are some scalars. Then <a,b> will be the first column vector for your matrix representation. Do the same thing with T(w) for some scalars c and d and so <c,d> will be your second column vector for the matrix, then just calculate the determinant.

I see what you're saying. I had a brain fart. Thanks again.

What is the determinant of a linear transformation?

The determinant of a linear transformation is a numerical value that represents the scaling factor of the transformation. It is a measure of how the transformation affects the size of the objects in the original space.

How is the determinant of a linear transformation calculated?

The determinant of a linear transformation can be calculated using various methods, such as the cofactor expansion method or the diagonalization method. The most common method is using the matrix representation of the transformation and finding the product of the diagonal elements.

What does the determinant tell us about a linear transformation?

The determinant of a linear transformation is closely related to its invertibility. If the determinant is non-zero, the transformation is invertible, meaning it has an inverse transformation. It also gives information about the orientation (clockwise or counterclockwise) and the shape (stretching, flipping, or compressing) of the transformed objects.

What happens to the determinant when two linear transformations are composed?

When two linear transformations are composed, the determinant of the resulting transformation is equal to the product of the determinants of the individual transformations. In other words, the determinant is multiplicative under composition.

How can the determinant of a linear transformation be used in real-life applications?

The determinant of a linear transformation is used in various fields, including physics, engineering, and economics, to analyze and predict the behavior of systems. It is also used in computer graphics to transform 2D and 3D objects. In economics, the determinant is used to calculate the elasticity of demand and supply, which is essential in determining market equilibrium.