Proving Inequalities: Multiplying 2 Negs Becomes a Positive

• Thread starter Whatever123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequalities
In summary: Whatever123's response to my question, then really, it should be a / ((-b)(-c)), so that the denominator is a product of two negatives :)In summary, the conversation revolved around the question of why two negatives multiplied together become a positive number. The basic proof that was discussed involved showing that since a/(-b)(-c) is greater than 0 and a is positive, then (-b)(-c) must also be positive. There was also a discussion about the order of operations and how it doesn't affect the proof as it only focuses on the signs, not the actual values.
Whatever123
Ok... So today, someone asked me a simple question: Why do two negatives become a positive number when multiplied together? This is intuitively basic, but not as easy to prove (unless there's some simple proof that I didn't think of). This was the basic proof that I came up with:

Let a, b, c > 0 and a, b, c [tex]\in[/tex] R.

a > 0

a/(-b) < 0/(-b)

a/(-b) < 0

a/(-b)(-c) > 0/(-b)(-c)

a/(-b)(-c) > 0

Since a/(-b)(-c) is greater than 0, and a is positive, then (-b)(-c) must also be positive. Therefore, multiplying by two negatives will produce a positive.

I know my proof isn't very good, but I am not a mathematician. I thought that I came up with a semi-decent way to show that multiplying two negatives together will produce a positive number. Now, the next question that person asked me was: Well then why does the inequality flip over when you divide by a negative? Again, it's intuitively obvious but I do not know how to prove it. Does anyone know how I could prove that or a better way to prove what I just attempted to prove?

P.S. I meant to put this in general math because it would be more appropriate there, but I accidently posted it here and cannot delete it. So maybe a moderator can move it...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Whatever123 said:
Ok... So today, someone asked me a simple question: Why do two negatives become a positive number when multiplied together? This is intuitively basic, but not as easy to prove (unless there's some simple proof that I didn't think of). This was the basic proof that I came up with:

Let a, b, c > 0 and a, b, c [tex]\in[/tex] R.

a > 0

a/(-b) < 0/(-b)

a/(-b) < 0

a/(-b)(-c) > 0/(-b)(-c)
Is this a/((-b)(-c)) or (a/(-b))(-c)?

a/(-b)(-c) > 0

Since a/(-b)(-c) is greater than 0, and a is positive, then (-b)(-c) must also be positive. Therefore, multiplying by two negatives will produce a positive.

I know my proof isn't very good, but I am not a mathematician. I thought that I came up with a semi-decent way to show that multiplying two negatives together will produce a positive number. Now, the next question that person asked me was: Well then why does the inequality flip over when you divide by a negative? Again, it's intuitively obvious but I do not know how to prove it. Does anyone know how I could prove that or a better way to prove what I just attempted to prove?

P.S. I meant to put this in general math because it would be more appropriate there, but I accidently posted it here and cannot delete it. So maybe a moderator can move it...
Of course, you use "if c< 0 and a> b then ac< bc" extensively. That doesn't seem to me to be more obvious than "negative times negative is positive" itself. That would be proved by "If c< 0 then (-c)> 0. If also a> b then a(-c)> b(-c) or -(ab)> -(ac). Now add ab and ac to both sides: ab+ ac- (ab)= ac> ab+ ac- (ac)= ab." Immediately from that follows "negative times negative equals positive": if a< 0 and b< 0, then ab> 0b= 0.

HallsofIvy said:
Is this a/((-b)(-c)) or (a/(-b))(-c)?

Doesn't matter... It works out the same...

HallsofIvy said:
Of course, you use "if c< 0 and a> b then ac< bc" extensively. That doesn't seem to me to be more obvious than "negative times negative is positive" itself. That would be proved by "If c< 0 then (-c)> 0. If also a> b then a(-c)> b(-c) or -(ab)> -(ac). Now add ab and ac to both sides: ab+ ac- (ab)= ac> ab+ ac- (ac)= ab." Immediately from that follows "negative times negative equals positive": if a< 0 and b< 0, then ab> 0b= 0.

Thanks for the advice... I'll keep that in mind when trying to expand my current proof...

Why did you divide?

Couldn't you get the same thing with

-a < 0
(-a)(-b) > 0(-b) = 0

?

Bingk said:
Why did you divide?

Couldn't you get the same thing with

-a < 0
(-a)(-b) > 0(-b) = 0

?

I divided because it doesn't really make a difference to the proof and it's easier on me. I wanted to show that a/((-b)(-c)) > 0. Since the numerator, by definition, is greater than 0, then the denominator must be greater than 0. I thought it would be an easy way to look at it since you're looking at a, and (-b)(-c) separately. I wanted to organize it so that you could look to the top of the fraction for one and the bottom for the other...

Whatever123 said:
Doesn't matter... It works out the same...

24/((-8)(-3)) < (24/(-8))(-3) so I don't understand why you say it doesn't matter what order you preform the operations.

Ah, okay ... I get why you did it, but I still prefer my way ;), hehe. I guess it just depends how you want to see it ... my way shows that the product of 2 negatives is greater than 0.

As for ramsey2879, I think Whatever123 meant that it doesn't matter in the sense that they are both greater than zero ... but if you consider Whatever123's response to my question, then really, it should be a / ((-b)(-c)), so that the denominator is a product of two negatives :)

ramsey2879 said:
24/((-8)(-3)) < (24/(-8))(-3) so I don't understand why you say it doesn't matter what order you preform the operations.

I'm saying that it doesn't matter in my proof because I do not care what the actual value is; I just care about if it's greater or less than 0. I'm just worried about the signs, not the value. So it does work out the same for my proof.

Bingk said:
Ah, okay ... I get why you did it, but I still prefer my way ;), hehe. I guess it just depends how you want to see it ... my way shows that the product of 2 negatives is greater than 0.

As for ramsey2879, I think Whatever123 meant that it doesn't matter in the sense that they are both greater than zero ... but if you consider Whatever123's response to my question, then really, it should be a / ((-b)(-c)), so that the denominator is a product of two negatives :)

Yes. That was an original typo mistake that I simply missed. I updated it when I responded to you.

1. How do you prove that multiplying two negative numbers results in a positive number?

The proof for this property, also known as the "double negative rule," is based on the concept of multiplication as repeated addition. When multiplying a negative number by another negative number, we are essentially adding a certain number of negative values together. Since two negatives make a positive, the result of this repeated addition is a positive number.

2. Is this property only applicable to whole numbers?

No, this property holds true for all real numbers, including fractions and decimals. The sign of the resulting number will still depend on the number of negative factors being multiplied.

3. Can this property be extended to more than two negative numbers?

Yes, this property can be extended to any number of negative factors being multiplied together. For example, multiplying three negative numbers will result in a positive number, as long as the number of negatives is odd. If the number of negatives is even, the result will be negative.

4. How can this property be used in mathematical equations and expressions?

This property is often used in simplifying algebraic expressions and solving equations involving negative numbers. It can also be used in the process of factoring and expanding polynomial expressions.

5. Are there any exceptions to this property?

Yes, there is one exception to this property, which is when a negative number is raised to an even power. In this case, the result will still be positive, but not because of the property of multiplying two negatives. For example, (-2)^2 = 4, which is positive. This is because even powers preserve the positive sign of a number, regardless of whether it is negative or positive.