Bell Measurement on 3-qubit GHZ state?

In summary, to perform a Bell measurement on a state that doesn't have a power of 2 number of qubits, you can decompose the state into the Bell basis, trace away any extra qubits, and then perform a Bell measurement on the remaining qubits.
DodongoBongo
How do you do a Bell measurement on a state that doesn't have a power of 2 number of qubits? I've got GHZ states like this:

[tex]
|GHZ_{ijk}> = \frac{|0_{i}0_{j}0_{k}> + |1_{i}1_{j}1_{k}>}{\sqrt{2}}
[/tex]

And I'm trying to Bell measure the following state at qubits 2 and 3:

[tex]
|GHZ_{012}>|GHZ_{345}>
[/tex]

I've permuted my Bell bases so I can measure those two qubits, but I'm not sure exactly what to do next. I've been doing a bit of research and I've been thinking of tracing away one of the qubits, but I'm not sure if that's really the right way to do it. Any insight or help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
To perform a Bell measurement on a state that doesn't have a power of 2 number of qubits, you can either use a generalized version of the Bell measurement or you can trace away one of the qubits. In order to do this for your GHZ state, you would first need to express the state in terms of the Bell basis. For a three qubit state, the Bell basis is given by: |B_{000}> = \frac{|00> + |11>}{\sqrt{2}} |B_{001}> = \frac{|00> - |11>}{\sqrt{2}}|B_{010}> = \frac{|01> + |10>}{\sqrt{2}} |B_{011}> = \frac{|01> - |10>}{\sqrt{2}}You can then decompose your GHZ state as follows: |GHZ_{012}>|GHZ_{345}> = \frac{1}{2}\Big(|B_{000}>|B_{000}> + |B_{001}>|B_{001}> + |B_{010}>|B_{010}> + |B_{011}>|B_{011}>\Big)Now, if you want to measure the state of qubits 2 and 3, you can trace away qubit 1 to obtain a two qubit state: |GHZ_{23}> = \frac{1}{2}\Big(|B_{000}> + |B_{001}> + |B_{010}> + |B_{011}>\Big)Finally, you can apply a two qubit Bell measurement to this state in order to measure the state of qubits 2 and 3.

1. What is a Bell Measurement on a 3-qubit GHZ state?

A Bell measurement is a quantum measurement that determines the entanglement between two or more particles. In a 3-qubit GHZ state, the particles are entangled in such a way that the state of one particle depends on the state of the other two particles. A Bell measurement on this state allows us to determine the correlations between the three particles.

2. How is a Bell Measurement performed on a 3-qubit GHZ state?

A Bell measurement on a 3-qubit GHZ state involves performing a series of quantum operations on the three particles, such as applying Hadamard and CNOT gates. This is followed by a measurement of the three particles in the computational basis.

3. What is the significance of a Bell Measurement on a 3-qubit GHZ state?

A Bell measurement on a 3-qubit GHZ state is significant because it allows us to quantify the amount of entanglement between the three particles. This can have applications in quantum communication and cryptography, as well as in testing the validity of quantum mechanics.

4. Can a Bell Measurement on a 3-qubit GHZ state be simulated on a classical computer?

No, a Bell measurement on a 3-qubit GHZ state cannot be simulated on a classical computer. This is because classical computers operate using classical bits, which can only represent either a 0 or a 1. In contrast, quantum computers use quantum bits (qubits), which can exist in a superposition of states and allow for entanglement between particles.

5. Are there any practical applications of a Bell Measurement on a 3-qubit GHZ state?

Yes, there are several potential practical applications of a Bell measurement on a 3-qubit GHZ state. These include quantum key distribution for secure communication, quantum teleportation for information transfer, and quantum error correction for improving the reliability of quantum computers.