Good books for competitive exams

• Thread starter smart_worker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books Exams
In summary, the speaker passed high school with a low percentage and is now struggling with college entrance exams. They want to pursue quantum mechanics and are seeking advice on which textbooks to start with. The advice given is to read good books, such as those from NCERT, to strengthen fundamental knowledge and to solve end of chapter problems independently to improve analytical skills.
smart_worker
well i passed out 12th but with low percentage.i literally crammed throughout high school.now when i am preparing for the college entrance exams i find it very difficult.it's like i haven't studied anything at all.i want to pursue quantum mechanics.which textbooks should i start with now?

Physics news on Phys.org
to your question, read some good books like that of ncert...you can get good grasp of fundamentals..solve problems. problem solving at first is difficult since you have been at different system which supports cramming...but with good textbooks and solving end of chapter problems(solve it on your own. think too much. sometimes you won't get the answer. after trying for many times ask for support from teachers or online. when you try and fail, you will get to know what won't work. this will improve your analytical skills)...

1. What are the best books for competitive exams?

The best books for competitive exams vary depending on the specific exam you are preparing for. However, some popular options include "Cracking the Coding Interview" by Gayle Laakmann McDowell for technical interviews, "The Official Guide to the GRE General Test" for the GRE, and "Barron's ACT" for the ACT.

2. Are there any specific strategies for choosing good books for competitive exams?

Yes, it is important to research the exam you are preparing for and understand its format and content. This will help you determine which books will be most relevant and useful for your preparation. It is also helpful to read reviews and recommendations from previous test-takers.

3. Can I rely solely on books for my exam preparation?

No, while books can be a valuable resource for exam preparation, it is important to supplement them with other study materials such as practice tests, online resources, and study groups. It is also important to have a well-rounded study plan that includes regular practice and review.

4. Are there any free resources for competitive exam preparation?

Yes, there are many free resources available for competitive exam preparation, such as Khan Academy, Coursera, and YouTube channels that offer tutorials and practice questions. It is important to carefully evaluate the credibility and quality of these resources before using them.

5. How can I make the most out of my study time with these books?

To make the most out of your study time with competitive exam books, it is important to have a structured study plan and set realistic goals. Prioritize the topics that are most challenging for you and allocate more time to them. It is also helpful to take breaks and review your progress regularly to make adjustments to your study plan as needed.