Small problem with getting to E=mc^2

• Thread starter Wotso
  • Start date
  • Tags
    E=mc^2
In summary, someone has a great understanding of the concept of relativity but struggles to understand the steps to applying it. They spend a lot of time trying to figure out what to make of the dv (and looking ahead, they don't think they'll be able to do the next step either), and are stuck. A person with some knowledge of calculus helps them out and they are able to finally complete the equation.
Wotso
First of all, I'm not sure where to post this.

Now, I am reading some lectures about relativity, I came quite far and understand the concept. The steps in the following I just can't follow.

"Kinetic Energy and Mass for Particles of Arbitrary Speed

For a particle of rest mass m0 accelerating along a straight line (from rest) under a constant force F, "

[PLAIN]http://img840.imageshack.us/img840/8366/relapic.jpg

The first step I understand, but then I'm completely lost. Spend over 2 hours in figuring it out...
I know I'd have to use m= m0 divided by root of (1-v2/c2)

Can someone help me?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Does this clue help?

[tex]\frac{dm}{dt} = \frac{dm}{dv}\,\frac{dv}{dt}[/tex]​

well, it does explain where that dv/dt comes from..

But I still have problems,

Now I am thinking like this: ( which might be completely wrong)

dm/dv multiplied with v = what is on the left of the + sign without the dv/dt

and dm = m - m0
and dv must be something like v -v0 which means dv=v (right?) and dt therefore = t ?
dv must be written in another way.. but what?

so.. still stuck. thanks for the first clue though :smile:
Would you be so kind to give an other clue?

p.s. going to study math and physics next year in Utrecht university (Netherlands) so my skills aren't at a really high level..

Realize that m = γm0. (Which you note in your first post.) So dm/dv = m0 dγ/dv.

Well, I think I'm almost there...
I just can't figure out what to make of the dv (and looking ahead, I probably won't be able to do the next step either, but that depends on the solution =/ )
Thanks alot.

Wotso said:
Well, I think I'm almost there...
I just can't figure out what to make of the dv (and looking ahead, I probably won't be able to do the next step either, but that depends on the solution =/ )
Thanks alot.
Well, I assumed from your first post that you knew about calculus and that "dy/dx" does not mean dy divided by dx, but means the derivative of y with respect to x. If you don't know that, then none of this will make much sense and you'll need to study differential calculus first.

If you do know calculus, then use the fact that

[tex]\frac{d}{dv}\,\frac{1}{\sqrt{z}} = \left( \frac{d}{dz} \, \frac{1}{\sqrt{z}} \right)\frac{dz}{dv}[/tex]​

That is, use the chain rule for derivatives.

I did a similar calculation here. Maybe that will help. Note that I'm using units such that c=1, and the symbol m for what you call m0.

I got it now =D I was looking totally in the wrong direction.
[tex]\frac{d}{dv}\,\frac{1}{\sqrt{z}} = \left( \frac{d}{dz} \, \frac{1}{\sqrt{z}} \right)\frac{dz}{dv}[/tex]​
z=1-v2/c2
Y=1/sqrt(z)

first the dm/dt becomes dm/dv * dv/dt
dm/dv becomes m0 *dY/dz *dz/dv
and then first part.
dz-0,5/dz the derivative is
-0.5z-1,5

now we have dz/dv left which is quite easy
-2v/c2

so, now multiplying (1st deriv = -2v/c2) * (2nd deriv = -0.5z-1,5) *dv/dt * v * m0
-2 and -0,5 multiplied is 1 so crossing that off and we're there.

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP

But I'm not there yet. the last step is also a bit too much for me.

help?

If you mean the last equality in the image you posted, this is the key part of it

[tex]\frac{v^2}{1-v^2}+1=\frac{v^2+1-v^2}{1-v^2}=\gamma^2[/tex]

This is with c=1. I highly recommend using units such that c=1. If you want to keep that c around, just replace the v in the denominator with v/c, and choose between doing the same thing in the numerator or inserting a factor of c2 next to the gamma on the right. (When you restore factors of c, you just insert them where they're needed to ensure that the things we're adding have the same units, and that both sides of each equality have the same units).

Edit: I should also have mentioned this: You know that when you have an expression of the form A+B with B≠0, you can rewrite it as B(A/B+1). This trick, with "B" equal to the entire second term in the expression you have to simplify, simplifies that expression considerably. Then you can just do what I did above.

Last edited:
Thanks, I think I got it.

Love you all =D

Related to Small problem with getting to E=mc^2

What is the significance of E=mc^2?

E=mc^2 is a famous equation discovered by Albert Einstein that relates mass and energy. It states that the energy (E) of an object is equal to its mass (m) multiplied by the speed of light (c) squared. This equation has significant implications in the fields of physics, including nuclear energy and the understanding of the universe.

How did Einstein come up with E=mc^2?

Einstein developed the equation E=mc^2 through his theory of special relativity. This theory states that all objects in the universe are made up of energy and mass and that they are interchangeable. Through mathematical calculations and thought experiments, Einstein was able to derive the famous equation that is now synonymous with his name and the concept of mass-energy equivalence.

Can E=mc^2 be proven?

E=mc^2 has been extensively tested and has been proven to be accurate within the constraints of our current understanding of physics. However, as with any scientific theory, it is always subject to further testing and refinement as our knowledge and technology advance.

Does E=mc^2 only apply to light?

No, E=mc^2 applies to all forms of energy, not just light. In fact, the equation was originally derived to explain the relationship between mass and energy in the atom, specifically in nuclear reactions. It applies to all forms of energy, whether it be in the form of light, heat, or even potential energy.

What are the practical applications of E=mc^2?

The most well-known practical application of E=mc^2 is in nuclear energy. This equation explains the massive amount of energy released during nuclear reactions. It has also been used in the development of nuclear weapons. E=mc^2 has also had implications in the fields of astronomy and cosmology, as it helps us understand the relationship between mass and energy in the universe.