Teach Yourself Calculus: Find Resources Here

• Thread starter ezarhadden
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in finding a good resource for teaching oneself calculus. A website and a used calculus textbook are recommended as helpful materials for learning. Additionally, a pdf file is suggested as a good starting point for understanding the concept of integral calculus.
ezarhadden
Hello,

I'm trying to teach myself calculus, I can't really find any good books that explain it good though. So could anyone reccomend a book or website that would be helpful? Thank.

Physics news on Phys.org

Perhaps the question is better asked in
Science Book Discussion

ezarhadden said:
Hello,

I'm trying to teach myself calculus, I can't really find any good books that explain it good though. So could anyone reccomend a book or website that would be helpful? Thank.

General_Sax said:

That one hyperlinked is not bad, worth looking at in detail. Still, a great way to start is with almost any old, used, Calculus textbook.

check out the pdf file in post 23 of the thread "any good calculus places to start" below. it shows you how archimedes computed area by a limit process, which is the genesis of integral calculus.

FAQ: Teach Yourself Calculus: Find Resources Here

1. What is calculus and why is it important?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with rates of change and the accumulation of small quantities. It is important because it provides a framework for understanding and quantifying complex systems and phenomena, making it applicable in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and more.

2. How can I teach myself calculus?

There are many resources available for self-studying calculus, such as online courses, textbooks, video lectures, and practice problems. It is important to set a schedule and stick to it, and to actively engage with the material by taking notes, doing exercises, and seeking help when needed.

3. What are some recommended resources for learning calculus?

Some popular resources for learning calculus include "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart, the Khan Academy website, and the MIT OpenCourseWare calculus courses. It is also helpful to look for resources that cater to your learning style, such as visual aids or interactive simulations.

4. What are the main concepts covered in calculus?

The main concepts in calculus are derivatives, which measure instantaneous rates of change, and integrals, which measure the accumulation of quantities over a given interval. Other important concepts include limits, derivatives of trigonometric and exponential functions, and applications such as optimization and related rates.

5. How long does it take to learn calculus?

The time it takes to learn calculus varies for each individual, but it generally takes several months of consistent studying and practice to gain a good understanding of the subject. The more time and effort you put into studying, the better your understanding of the concepts will be.