Did anyone else had self doubt?

• Thread starter Government$
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Doubt Self
In summary, the individual is experiencing self-doubt in regards to their math abilities and is worried about their upcoming tests for the mathematics faculty. They have been struggling with more difficult problems and feel like they lack mathematical ability. They also feel pressured as a newcomer to mathematics and compare themselves to others who have more experience. Other individuals in the conversation offer advice and resources to help overcome self-doubt and improve math skills.
Government$
Hello friends.
It seems to me that i have reach a wall with my math education. In 3.5 months i will be doing tests for mathematics faculty(college), something like SAT but a bit more difficult i think.
Anyway i have been doing more difficult problems from problem set and i simply can't figure them out. When i look at the solution i realize that i would have never thought of that. I could have been sitting for hours and hours and i still wouldn't have thought of that. When i can't figure out the problem like that i usually feel depressed and that i lack mathematical ability.
I was planning to do math major but i have serious self doubt. If i can't do these harder high school level problems, how the hell i am going to do real analysis or something more complicated? On top of that i am a newcomer to mathematics. In my first year of high school i had D. As a matter of fact one can check out this thread that is about 1.5 years old where i thought that 3.7b - 3.7 = b. :redface: Also i college i will be up against people that finished mathematical gymnasium or that were good at math through out the high school. Now i must say that i advanced a lot in those year and a half. Currently i have an A from my calculus course and i can do harder problems then average, also i enjoy math far more then in that past. But i still feel like i get a reality check about my math potential when i can't figure out the problem that i should. Did anyone else had the self doubt like i ma having right now and what to do about it?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not saying that you have Impostor Syndrome, but it sounds to me like you may be susceptible to it:

http://www.counseling.caltech.edu/general/InfoandResources/Impostor

Self-doubt surprisingly common. You will have to learn to deal with it - the link has some good suggestions at the bottom.

Don't beat yourself up over silly mistakes - everyone makes them. I once "solved" (x + y)3 as x3 + y3! On a test, no less :redface:. Isn't it funny how you never forget silly mistakes. But it's easy to forget the progress you've made in the last several years.

Remember: you would not be earning an A if you were not capable of earning an A - so there is your proof.

Good luck on your test.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a somewhat similar problem. I get nervous as hell in exams, and that's the cause of many of my mistakes [(x+1)^2=x^2 + 1?!]. But I still generally end up getting good to great grades. I don't think it matters too much where you were before, only where you are now. If you're getting good grades and can do the hard problems, then you're probably "good" at maths, to some extent. I mean, a few years ago I didn't even know high school maths or physics because I didn't take them in hs and I ended up dropping out anyway. Now I'm in the middle of a maths/physics degree and my grades are pretty good. Not awesome, but still quite decent. Moral of the story: don't let past mistakes get to you too much.

I don't know how your basics are, but it;s always a good idea to revisit them in times of trouble to get yourself into "maths mode". Learning some mathematical tricks can be very useful. There is a method of mental arithmetic called The Trachtenberg System and I can tell you from personal experience that it turned around my marks from D-:cry: to B++!:cool:.When you see the system before your eyes you will wonder why you ever worried, honest!

I found the a free PDF of the book online but it's 4MB so can't upload it here so:
http://teachingclicks.com/67JC/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Trachtenberg-System.pdf

Here's a brief explanation of the system on Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trachtenberg_system

This may also help:

Remember MATHS IS FUN!:smile:

Attachments

• Jeff Zilahy - A Cultural Paradox Fun in Mathematics.pdf
    304.3 KB · Views: 537
Last edited by a moderator:

As a fellow scientist, I can definitely relate to your feelings of self-doubt when it comes to math. It is a challenging subject, and it is common to feel overwhelmed and uncertain at times. However, I want to remind you that self-doubt is a natural part of learning and growing, and it is important to not let it hold you back from pursuing your passion for math.

It is also important to remember that everyone learns at their own pace and has different strengths and weaknesses. Just because you struggle with certain problems now does not mean you cannot excel in higher-level math courses. With hard work and dedication, you can overcome these challenges and reach your goals.

I also want to encourage you to seek help from your teachers, peers, or tutors if you are struggling with a particular concept or problem. Asking for help is not a sign of weakness, but rather a sign of determination to improve and succeed.

Lastly, do not compare yourself to others. Your journey with math is unique to you and your past experiences do not define your potential. Keep pushing yourself and have confidence in your abilities. I have no doubt that you will do well on your tests and continue to excel in your math education. Best of luck to you!

1. What is self doubt and why is it important to address?

Self doubt is a feeling of uncertainty or lack of confidence in one's abilities or decisions. It is important to address because it can hinder personal growth and success, as well as negatively impact mental and emotional well-being.

2. Is self doubt a common experience among people?

Yes, self doubt is a common experience among people of all ages and backgrounds. It can occur in various aspects of life, such as relationships, career, and personal goals.

3. Are there any benefits to experiencing self doubt?

While self doubt can be uncomfortable and challenging, it can also serve as a motivator for self-improvement and learning. It can also help individuals identify areas for growth and reflection.

4. What are some strategies for overcoming self doubt?

Some strategies for overcoming self doubt include practicing self-compassion, challenging negative thoughts, seeking support from others, and setting realistic goals. It is also important to recognize that setbacks and failures are a normal part of the learning process.

5. Can self doubt be completely eliminated?

It is unlikely that self doubt can be completely eliminated, as it is a natural human emotion. However, with self-awareness and the use of coping strategies, individuals can learn to manage and reduce the impact of self doubt on their lives.