Is Gravity the Same as Acceleration?

In summary, Gravity and acceleration are not exactly the same thing, but accelerated frames can be equivalent to frames at rest in a gravitational field. When swinging a stone on a string around your head, you are producing "artificial" gravity and for someone living in the stone, it would feel like being on the surface of a planet.
AlisonArulia
Hi everyone,

I hope you can help me with this as I am having a problem sorting all this out.

I have been told that Gravity and acceration are the same thing. It was explained to me by thinking about droping a ball in a lift (that was is space so no gravity) and the ball would act as if it was being pulled to the floor by gravity.

OK, I sort of understand this.

But I was also told that if a swing a stone on a string around y head, then the stone is affected by gravity towards the centre of the spining. ie. towards me. But I can't be producing gravity, so what is happening please.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Alison

Physics news on Phys.org
AlisonArulia said:
I have been told that Gravity and acceration are the same thing.
Not really the same thing. Accelerated frames are equivalent to frames at rest in a gravitational field.
AlisonArulia said:
But I was also told that if a swing a stone on a string around y head, then the stone is affected by gravity towards the centre of the spining. ie. towards me. But I can't be producing gravity, so what is happening please.
You are producing "artificial" gravity. For someone living in the stone it would the same as being at rest on the surface of a planet.

oooooo. I get it now.
Thank you so much.

Related to Is Gravity the Same as Acceleration?

1. What is the difference between gravity and acceleration?

Gravity is a force that pulls objects towards each other, while acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes. In simpler terms, gravity is a force that causes objects to fall towards the ground, while acceleration is the measure of how fast that object is falling.

2. How do gravity and acceleration affect each other?

Gravity and acceleration are closely related, as gravity is the force that causes objects to accelerate towards the ground. The acceleration due to gravity is constant on Earth and is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared. Therefore, any object that is falling towards the ground will experience a constant acceleration due to gravity.

3. Can gravity or acceleration be manipulated?

Gravity and acceleration are natural forces and cannot be manipulated. However, objects can experience different levels of acceleration or gravity depending on their mass and the environment they are in. For example, an object will experience a different level of acceleration on the moon compared to on Earth due to the difference in gravity between the two celestial bodies.

4. How is gravity related to the mass of an object?

The force of gravity is directly proportional to the mass of an object. This means that the larger the mass of an object, the greater the force of gravity it will experience. For example, the force of gravity between the Earth and the Sun is much greater than the force of gravity between two smaller objects, such as two people.

5. How does acceleration affect an object's velocity?

Acceleration and velocity are closely related, as acceleration is the measure of how fast an object's velocity is changing. If an object is accelerating in a certain direction, its velocity will increase in that direction. For example, a car accelerating will have a higher velocity than the same car at rest.