Is free fall NOT the same as floating in space?

In summary, the two examples are not exactly equivalent, and someone in free fall towards the Earth may eventually collide with it!
James Demers
For many, many years (don't ask), I've been running into the classic example of the local reference frame: the man in the box who can't tell if he's floating free in space, or falling into a gravity well.

It occurs to me that if one is in a falling box, a mass released at the top of the box will be subject to a wee bit less gravity than a mass released at the bottom of the box. A sensitive enough instrument would be able to detect a force pulling them apart. (This is nothing exotic: it's the tidal force.) Thus, the experiment would tell you that your box is not floating free, but is accelerating toward another mass. (A worrisome discovery, I would think.)

Is this just a matter of a poor choice of example, one that's persisted for about a century? Or is there something actually different between the two boxes?

Physics news on Phys.org
James Demers said:
, a mass released at the top of the box will be subject to a wee bit less gravity than a mass released at the bottom of the box.
This is true and the same difference can be detected in the Microgravity in an orbiting space vehicle. To avoid this effect, you really would need to be "floating" at a great distance from even the Sun.

James Demers said:
For many, many years (don't ask), I've been running into the classic example of the local reference frame: the man in the box who can't tell if he's floating free in space, or falling into a gravity well.

It occurs to me that if one is in a falling box, a mass released at the top of the box will be subject to a wee bit less gravity than a mass released at the bottom of the box. A sensitive enough instrument would be able to detect a force pulling them apart. (This is nothing exotic: it's the tidal force.) Thus, the experiment would tell you that your box is not floating free, but is accelerating toward another mass. (A worrisome discovery, I would think.)

Is this just a matter of a poor choice of example, one that's persisted for about a century? Or is there something actually different between the two boxes?

Exactly. The two are only approximately equivalent. If your experiment lasts a sufficiently long time, you will see differences between, say, orbiting the Earth in the space station and drifting out in space somewhere.

And, obviously, someone in free fall towards the Earth may eventually collide with it!

Likes m4r35n357

1. Why is free fall not the same as floating in space?

Free fall and floating in space may seem similar, but they are actually two different concepts. Free fall occurs when an object is falling due to the force of gravity, while floating in space occurs when an object is in a state of weightlessness due to the absence of gravity.

2. What causes free fall?

Free fall is caused by the force of gravity pulling an object towards the center of the Earth. This acceleration towards the Earth's surface is what we experience as falling.

3. Can free fall occur in space?

No, free fall cannot occur in space because there is no gravitational force present. In order for an object to experience free fall, it must be affected by the force of gravity.

4. How is free fall different from floating in space?

Free fall is a result of gravity, while floating in space is a result of being in a state of weightlessness. In free fall, the object is accelerating towards the Earth's surface, while in space, the object is not subject to any external forces.

5. Is free fall dangerous?

Free fall can be dangerous if the object is falling towards a solid surface, as it can result in a collision and potential injury. However, in a controlled environment such as a skydiving experience, free fall can be a thrilling and safe experience.